Network and Storage Protocols

Can File SRM report on file owners that are local accounts?

reide

I have File SRM configured to walk a number of Windows 2003 host paths to collect directory, file and user information. Some paths are internal drives, some are NetApp CIFS shares mounted on the host.

Once the file walk is done I view the "SRM File Owners" report to see which user accounts are consuming the most space.  However, for user accounts that are local to the servers (i.e. non-AD accounts) they do not appear to get reported.  They are being lumped into a "failed" category.  The files owned by these local user accounts do get indexed and reported, but not the owners themselves.

Are the File SRM and host agent tools supposed to be able to report any/all file owners, or only file owners that the NetApp controller is aware of (i.e. Active Directory or users added to controller)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rshiva

Hi reide,

I believe we should be ble to report local users of your servers without any issues.

Check the screenshot.

Thanks and regards

Shiva Raja

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rshiva

Hi reide,

I believe we should be ble to report local users of your servers without any issues.

Check the screenshot.

Thanks and regards

Shiva Raja

prasads

Hi,

Do you see any errors in host Agent logs?

BTW, is the user running the Host Agent service has permissions on the storage path?

Regards,

Prasad S

reide

In the Agent logs, I do see a warning about failing to lookup account information.

[ntap_agent: WARN]: Failed to LookupAccountSid(S-1-5-86-615999462-62705297-2911207457-59056572-3668589837) 1332

The NetApp Host Agent service starts automatically and logs on as "Local System Account".  I was assuming that it would run with administrator privlidges.

Should I manually specify an account for the Host Agenst service to run as?

adaikkap
Either add the existing user to admin group or give more privileges.
Or change the runs as user to a one with sufficient privileges.

Regards
adai

reide

This appears to be a Windows-related permissions issue with one particular account, not a File SRM issue.  There are a number of other local and AD accounts and File SRM can report on them successfuly.

Thanks for the answers.  I'll have to troubleshoot why this one account is giving me grief.

Public