Network and Storage Protocols

Can a network interface be removed from a VIF with no interruption?

sanman2304

Current configuration:

FAS2040

Dual controllers

4 individual Gig ports on each controller

All 4 ports are configured in an LACP VIF with just NFS and iSCSI traffic running over it

These 4 ports are divided between stackable Extreme switches 2x2

This is identical for both controllers

I would like to remove e0d from the VIFs to be used for CIFS traffic

How would I go about accomplishing this?

6 REPLIES 6

Darkstar

This is not officially supported, BUT it can be done if you're careful.

First, connect via the BMC and use "system console" to login to the filer.

Then type "ifconfig vif0 down; vif delete vif0 e0a; ifconfig vif0 up" as ONE command. it will take the IF down, remove e0a and re-enable the VIF. If you typed everything correctly everything will work after that.. If you have a typo, however, then your VIFs will stay down and you're in trouble...

Another (potentially safer) method is to edit your /etc/rc files on both nodes. Search for "vif create vif0 e0a e0b e0c e0d" or similar, and change it to "vif create vif0 e0a e0b" (i.e. remove the interfaces you don't want). Then do a takeover/giveback cycle for both filers to have them reboot. Takes longer but is potentially safer...

-Michael

mitchells

If you do the one line option, you still need to update /etc/rc so that it is persistent across reboots.

columbus_admin

You can use Michael's suggestion of editing /etc/rc, but you don't have to failover or reboot.

You can run "source -v /etc/rc" and have it re-read the configuration into running memory while the filer is up.  You have to be very careful, if you have a change control process use it.  A single mistake in there and your system could go offline from a network perspective.

- Scott

ANDREW_GALLANT

It can be done but there is risk and it is not supported. Generally things like this should be done with a scheduled failover or a scheduled window.

baijulal

Bring the i/f down, by ifconfig

remove from VIF, VIF remove

Bring up the interface by ifconfig  should work.

bhanojiisit

Before you begin

You must configure the vif to the down state before you can delete anetwork interface from the vif. You can configure the vif to the down status byusing the following command: ifconfig vif_name down

vif_name is the name of the vif that you want to configure to the downstatus.

About this task

The operation performed using the vif delete command is not persistentacross reboots unless the command is added to the /etc/rc file.

Step

Enter the following command:vif delete vif_name interface

vif_name is the name of thevif.

interface is the interface ofthe vif you want to delete.

Example

To delete the interface e4from a multimode vif MultiTrunk1, enter the following commands: ifconfigMultiTrunk1 down vif delete MultiTrunk1 e4

Public