Network and Storage Protocols

Cannot see NetApp snapshots in Windows 7 previous version tab.

khlam

I have problem to access NetApp snapshots on Windows 7 in “previous version tab” and anyone has this experience? Do I need to configure anything in OnTap to make this works?

38 REPLIES 38

tom_dewit

All versions of DataOntap that support SMB 2.0 will be fine. There is no specific fix in DO 7.3.2 to enable this.

The reason we waited for 7.3.2 is that this is the GD candidate, becoming GD in a few weeks.

Grtz,

Tom

marcelorf

I enabled SMB 2.0 on our FAS2020 running 7.3.1.1 and that took care of the issue. All our windows 7 boxes now are able to see and work with the NetApp snapshots.

Cheers,

Marcelo Flores

Systems Administrator

Bridgewater College

Daniel_Paul

Hi marcelorf,

be aware of burt: http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=356893

There is an issue with large files and SMB2.0

Its first fixed in 7.3.1.1P2. Don't enable SMB2 with 7.3.1.1 without Patchlevel 2.

I think best practise is to install 7.3.2 as it is the recent GD release now.

Best regards

Daniel Paul

mathieu_dewavrin

Does that large files bug also applies to 7.2.7 ?

Daniel_Paul

No, because there is a problem with large files when accessed via SMB2.

But SMB 2 support is introduced first with 7.3. so no problem with large files in 7.0.7.

Please remind that you can't see snapshots in previous version tab without SMB 2.0 when using Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Best regards

Daniel Paul

cythrault

7.2.7 also introduces SMB2...

Daniel.Paul wrote:

No, because there is a problem with large files when accessed via SMB2.

But SMB 2 support is introduced first with 7.3. so no problem with large files in 7.0.7.

Please remind that you can't see snapshots in previous version tab without SMB 2.0 when using Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Best regards

Daniel Paul

amiller_1

Wonderful....good to know (thanks all for the confirmation...have been out with a serious case of twins for the last 2 weeks ).

haim_keinar

I also have that problem on 1 of my customer

At same share - windows-xp see previous version and Windows 7 not

Haim Kinar

willcotton

Hi,

We had the same issue with previous versions in Windows 7 using Ontap 7.3.1, since upgrading to Ontap 7.3.3 previous versions is now available.

Cifs Options

cifs.ms_snapshot_mode        xp
cifs.smb2.client.enable      off
cifs.smb2.durable_handle.enable on
cifs.smb2.durable_handle.timeout 16m
cifs.smb2.enable             off
cifs.smb2.signing.required   off
cifs.snapshot_file_folding.enable off

Thanks

Will

raymondcheung

willcotton wrote:

Hi,

We had the same issue with previous versions in Windows 7 using Ontap 7.3.1, since upgrading to Ontap 7.3.3 previous versions is now available.

Cifs Options

cifs.ms_snapshot_mode        xp
cifs.smb2.client.enable      off
cifs.smb2.durable_handle.enable on
cifs.smb2.durable_handle.timeout 16m
cifs.smb2.enable             off
cifs.smb2.signing.required   off
cifs.snapshot_file_folding.enable off

Thanks

Will

We are running Ontap 7.3.2 and have the same problem.  Win7 and Win2K8 cannot see the Previous versions to restore snapshots.  Our Cifs options are the same as shown above, does simply upgrading to Ontap 7.3.3+ correct this issue?

raymondcheung

djayanathan wrote:

Have you read https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb58356 yet?

Yes, if I'm reading it correctly that sounds like a work around?  It would show the ~snapshot folder and not be able to utilize SMB2?

djayanathan

Since there is no "Fixed In" field at the bottom, I can only assume this is a workaround until NetApp dives deeper with Microsoft.

I just double checked against one of our systems, and we actually leave the cifs.show_snapshot set to off instead of on. That way you can still leave the directory hidden, but you are correct that you will not be able to utilize SMB2.0.

raymondcheung

I missed read this thread. looks like enabling SMB2 should resolve the issue.  I'll get to that.

pvbavel

Hi, did you guys ever found a solution for this problem ?

We have another strange issue quite similar to this problem.

We i try to restore a  file from the windows 7 explorer gui i get a file not found error.

When we go directly to the same file using the ~snapshot methode i works fine. Is this a windows 7 ? or a netapp issue ?

Kind regards,

Patrick van Bavel.

normat1111

I have a windows server 2003 domain with a Windows 7 client connected (Windows RC, 7100 build, 32 bit version). I cannot access Server 2003 Shadow Copy from the Windows 7 client. Under the Previous Versions Tab of a given file - located on a network share on the server - I get the following message: "There are no previous versions available". However, I can access a month's worth of previous versions for the same file from any XP client. What gives? I can't figure out why I am not able to access Server 2003 Shadow Copy from Windows 7.

briansr

cifs.smb2.enable             on        

perdatadietze

Nice hint!

Thank you. For visibility of snapshots there is no effect seen, but I see a better performance.

Some snapshots are visible, most of all are not. Most of snapshots are made by protection manager, not from the toaster itself.

Public