Network and Storage Protocols

Copy folder alongwith ACL from netapp to another netapp filer

krisk1974

Hi,

We are having two filers. Not one of the filer is getting full. i need to copy some share folders from that to another filer along with what are the ACL (permissions etc).What is the best way ? I need something for 0 down time.

Regds

Krishna kumar

7 REPLIES 7

krisk1974

Hi,

We  are having two filers. Now one of the filer is getting full. i need to  copy some share folders from that to another filer along with what are  the ACL (permissions etc).What is the best way ? I need something for 0  down time.

Regds

Krishna kumar

nigelg1965

Best way is NDMP copy

ndmpcopy -sa <user>:<pass> -da <user>:<pass> source_filer:/vol/vol_source_name/folder/file destination_filer:/vol/vol_dest_name/file

Assume CIFS / NFS share permissions are set on the target directory the same

krisk1974

is there any other option than ndmpcopy ? After copying should we re create cifs share along with ACL on destination ?

nigelg1965

Why don't you want to use NDMPcopy?

If it's windows data, you could use robocopy or similar, assuming the filers are in the same domain.

If the data is a whole volume or qtree (or a large percentage of ) snapmirror could be used.

krisk1974

ndmpcopy is taking too much time for 160GB CIFS share. and i don't know whether it will copy ACL/Permission.

Is there any problem while i stop ndmpcopy in between ?

nigelg1965

Don't think there'd be a problem stopping it part way through. You should be able to look at the destination data before copying has completed anyway. I'd restart the copy from scratch if you do stop it, I had an issue with the -l options.

aborzenkov

ndmpcopy will copy file ACLs. It won't create shares on destination and replicate share ACLs. You could look at securecopy (available on NOW toolchest) for copying share definitions between filers.

There is no alternative to ndmpcopy (on NetApp) if you need to copy only several directories. For whole volume you can use vol copy - it should be much faster; for whole qtree you could use QSM but it requires extra license.

Public