Network and Storage Protocols

Does Netapp support XFS?

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

Hi,

I am a newbie of Netapp.

We have an application which needs to access a shared directory on Linux server. So I meant to use NFS export.

But the application only supports XFS.  so is that mean I can't use NFS solution?

What's the filesystem in essence for Netapp volume? is it NTFS or something else? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

peter_lehmann

As soon as you go down the SAN route (use a LUN) you cannot use the NFS export anymore, beacuse you will only "see" one file in the export (e.g. xfs_lun0)...

But you can NFS export it on the Linux host that is using the LUN.

The filesystem in Ontap is called WAFL and is a natively (proprietary) integrated filesystem into the kernel. This advanced filesystem is a multiprotocol filesystem, allowing to support filedata (NTFS, Unix) and blockdata ( iSCSI, FCP).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

so is that mean that I can only assign LUNs for the servers and then they make XFS filesystem by themselves?

peter_lehmann

I'm not a linux expert... but this sounds like you will have to create the LUN on the NetApp, then mount it with iSCSI to the Linux and then on the Linux create the XFS.

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

that makes sense. Thanks for the heads up peter!

I just want to know if I still can use the NFS export...................

What's the filesystem in essence for Netapp volume? is it NTFS or something else? 

peter_lehmann

As soon as you go down the SAN route (use a LUN) you cannot use the NFS export anymore, beacuse you will only "see" one file in the export (e.g. xfs_lun0)...

But you can NFS export it on the Linux host that is using the LUN.

The filesystem in Ontap is called WAFL and is a natively (proprietary) integrated filesystem into the kernel. This advanced filesystem is a multiprotocol filesystem, allowing to support filedata (NTFS, Unix) and blockdata ( iSCSI, FCP).

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

Thank you Peter

Public