Network and Storage Protocols

Extremely slow NDMP recover with NetWorker

aborzenkov

I have observed it on multiple installations, now I have chance to capture it.

NetWorker 7.5 and 7.6, Data ONTAP 7.2 and 7.3, directly connected tape or 3-way backup via DSM, tape drive or backup on disk - in all cases I see exactly the same problem. Backup speed is quite good, it corrresponds to backend (i.e. over 100MB/s for tape drive or 1Gb/s network interface for 3-way backup). But recovery is miserable - it is approximately 8MB/s!

In all cases recovery was done via file base recover (nwrecover - browsing files, selecting them, starting recover, or direct call to recover).

As mentioned this happens in very different combinations of versions and backjup technology, so it appears to be inherent limitation of either NetApp or NetWorker. I attach screenshot (sorry, being connected to customer via read-only VNC session so can only do it) of recover session. Observe the throughput

This is not high file count environment. It is NFS database with relatively low number of files. Total size is slightly above 1TB. And this is really reading data, after directory phase was already done.

Any hints, pointers and ideas appreciated. I probably has to (recommend to) try save set recovery next time. But it is frustrating ...

18 REPLIES 18
Public