Network and Storage Protocols

FAS2040 MVIF CONFIG QUESTION

DAVEDEPILLIS

I have a new 2040A system I am putting in play.  Each head has 4 nics.  My plan was to keep it simple and make a Miltimode LACP vif for each filer head using all 4 nics.  Then Vlan beneath to storage and client traffic.

Vlan-2 Iscsi,

Vlan-3 NFS,

Vlan10 for client and Cifs traffic.

All pretty simple.  I also plan on having the system in an active/active configuration.

SAN Head A

VIFa

e0a

e0b

e0c

e0d

Vlan-10

Vlan-2

Vlan3

SAN Head B

VIFb

e0a

e0b

e0c

e0d

Vlan-10

Vlan-2

Vlan3

Here is my question.  Lets say I loose nic e0b on SAN Head A.  Am I okay and just down a nic or does my networking want to fail over to SAN Head B?  Do I only

Any suggestions or rc file examples would be helpful.

1 REPLY 1

bassettol

Your plan makes pretty good sense (depending on your switch environment).

If you have a dual switch environment - Make sure you switches support doing LACP across both switches and that there is a big enough trunk between the switches (plug 2 port into each switch)

vif create lacp mvif0 e0a e0b e0c e0d

vlan create mvif0 10

vlan add mvif0 2

vlan add mvif0 3

ifconfig mvif0-10 x.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x

ifconfig mvif0-3 x.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x

ifconfig mvif0-2 x.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x

Make sure cf.takeover.on_network_interface_failure is set to off if you don't want network failure to cause a cluster failover, and if you lose a link it will just keep on trucking.

Rinse and repeat for second controller

If you have a dual switch environment, and it doesn't support LACP across the switches, and you don't need all 4 for performance, you can do two multi's and second level them into a single to give failover between switches.

vif create lacp mvif0 e0a e0c

vif create lacp mvif1 e0b e0d

vif create single svif0 mvif0 mvif1

vlan create svif0 10

vlan add svif0 3

vlan add svif0 2

ifconfig svif0-10 x.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x

ifconfig svif0-3 x.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x

ifconfig svif0-2 x.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x

This gives you 2Gbps per lacp link and failover between switches for switch redundancy. Still no failover between controllers in case of switch failure.

If you have a single switch environment, as per the dual switch environment that supports LACP across the switches.

Hope this helps.

NOTE: I strongly recommend checking my syntax on the commands, as I don't have a console open and these are from memory, the point was to give you the idea of what needs to be done.

Public