Network and Storage Protocols

Filer without aggr?

magnus_emmoth

Hi,

I have a FAS2020 with dual disk controllers.

I would like to re-assign the disks from the second controller to the first controller.

Is it possible to run the second contoller and filer without any disks, aggregate and volume?

Magnus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adamfox

Synchronous SnapMirror will keep the data in sync but does not automatically failover.  That is a manual process.  With an HA pair, failover is automatic and invisible to most protocols and nearly invisible to CIFS.

And, yes, if you only use one controller you will effectively be cutting your processing and cache in half in a normal operation.  That's the advantage of an active/active configuration.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

adamfox

No. There must be at least one volume on a controller. This requires an absolute minimum of 2 disks with 3 preferred (for a spare).

-- Adam Fox

magnus_emmoth

What would actually happen if I didn't leave any disk at all for the second controller?

Magnus

adamfox

The second controller won't be boot and you will have no failover capability. You are also effectively cutting your processing and cache in half.

-- Adam Fox

magnus_emmoth

Our current NetApp FAS2020 will soon be configured with SyncMirror and CFS to another FAS2020.

Isn't this failover capability not sufficient?

If I didn't use the second controller on both of the FAS2020, would it also cut the processing and cache?

Magnus

adamfox

Synchronous SnapMirror will keep the data in sync but does not automatically failover.  That is a manual process.  With an HA pair, failover is automatic and invisible to most protocols and nearly invisible to CIFS.

And, yes, if you only use one controller you will effectively be cutting your processing and cache in half in a normal operation.  That's the advantage of an active/active configuration.

Public