Network and Storage Protocols

How can I use symbolic link to split a CIFS volume?

mdvillanueva

Hi Experts,

We have a volume primarily use for CIFS. It is growing too big therefore we want to migrate some of the content to another volume, however we cannot break the path, so I need to leave some kind of junction point. Will symbolic link achieve this?

Thanks,

Maico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

You could do this and it will work using widelinks.  We used this at customers when there were stricter dedup (asis) limits to have the ability to stitch together multiple volumes with dedup without exceeding the dedup limit on older ONTAP versions (not an issue now with 8.1 unlimited to max vol size and was not much of an issue with the 16TB limit in 8.0).  You basically have a symbolic link created from a linux/unix client and use symlink.translations to map the location to another share and the users see the link as a folder within the same path.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

scottgelb

You could do this and it will work using widelinks.  We used this at customers when there were stricter dedup (asis) limits to have the ability to stitch together multiple volumes with dedup without exceeding the dedup limit on older ONTAP versions (not an issue now with 8.1 unlimited to max vol size and was not much of an issue with the 16TB limit in 8.0).  You basically have a symbolic link created from a linux/unix client and use symlink.translations to map the location to another share and the users see the link as a folder within the same path.

mdvillanueva

Hi Scott,

Are you saying that in 8.1, flexible volume is not limited to 16TB anymore? This is actually the main reason we are trying to split the contents of the CIFS volume. We are in 8.0 and we are limited to 16Tb.

Thanks,

Maico

scottgelb

8.1 changes the limit to the max vol size for the platform now J

mdvillanueva

How do I setup the max vol size?

Thanks,

Maico

scottgelb

Create an aggregate the max size then a volume in it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

mdvillanueva

Hi Scott,

Sorry, I did not catch that. What do you mean ‘create an aggregate the max size’?

Maico

scottgelb

A fas3270 for example has a Max vol size of 70tb. With 8.1 you can dedup that now

mdvillanueva

How about V3240 or FAS3240?.. So essentially with 8.1 I can create a thin-provision Flex volume more than 16TB and that can be deduped?

Right now we are in 8.0 and it won’t let me create a flex vol more than 16TB.

Sorry, but I still don’t know where to adjust the max volume size.

Maico

202.403.5204 (Office)

202.445.3640 (Mobile)

scottgelb

Use system manager or vol size to resize. Once on 8.1 you can grow and keep dedup. Max vol size on a 3240 is 50tb (64bit). If you are 32 bit 8.1 will convert to 64 when you grow over 16tb.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

mdvillanueva

Thank you!  I will consider an upgrade to 8.1 instead.

mike_burris

Just FYI, per TR-3978 you have to add enough disks to an existing 32 bit aggregate that you push it past 16TB to trigger the non-disruptive upgrade to 64 bit.

scottgelb

Good point to clarify. In place conversion didn't make it (hidden unsupported method has been posted on this site but I wouldn't go there since likely a qa issue).

How is San Antonio? Would be really interested to hear offline your thoughts/ideas/plans for cluster-mode. I am looking at vFiler to Vserver automation as well as a side project.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

scottgelb

Then sis start and sis config.

emilianoh

Hello All

I was checking the posts, and I have a question.

What happened when you have a Box, in which you can't install 8 version of On Tap?

How will be the best way to do a split of the volume?

Thanks!

Public