Network and Storage Protocols

IFGRP of CIFS

mornevanr

Hi,

I have a question around interface groups and CIFS. ideally I would like to team e0a - e0d on a FAS2220 and use it for CIFS access. My question is what would be the best way to go about this. I will post what I think would be best and then you guys can tear me a new one but also hopefully give other suggestions, so here goes:

Team e0a - e0d using LACP and IP based.

Assign primary IP and then also 3 additional alias IP's so I have 4 x IP's in total

Create DNS record Example: ontapfs and point it to all 4 the above used IP's

Would this allow me to use all 4 NIC or will a cifs session still only be created on the primary IP and e0a. The aim here is to get the aggregated performance of all 4 NICs.

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2

stephenb

But also in short I prefer (7-mode):

ifgrp (vif) = lacp, e0a - e0d (ip is default)   (  ifgrp create [single|multi|lacp] <ifgrp_name> -b [rr|mac|ip|port] [<interface_list>]  )

assign ip to ifgrp only ( ifconfig <ifgrp_name> <ip_address> netmask <net_mask> (be sure to update rc file)

verify switch is configured properly to support the connected ports with etherchannel (see link above for examples)

mornevanr

@stephenb thanks for your reply.

I have read that article before, but he fails to mention anything related to smb\cifs. My question relates solely to proper smb\cifs load balancing. He also mention that you need to assign the alias IP's as per my original post. My question is not related to how to create the ifgrp but to how to best configure a ifgrp to get the most out of it.

Public