Network and Storage Protocols

Integrating NetApp with MAC OS X Client

TODOS1997

Hi, I'm relatively new to working with NetApp and in my company we have a mixed environment including Linux, Mac and Windows. We have the windows pc's connected to our NetApp, but now I would like to connect our Mac's to the NetApp and I have been reading on what needs to be done on both sides to get this done. Here is a little background information We have an FAS 270 running Data ONTAP Release 7.2.3P6.  I have a documentation that is from 2006 on how to get the mac's working with the NetApp, but it doesn't really tell me how to configure the NetApp.  Would someone be able to explain or provide some documentation on how I can configure the NetApp so our Mac's will be able to connect to it.  This would be extermelly helpful as we have a lot of users with Mac's that are not able to connect to our NetApp. Please let me know if you need additional information about the NetApp.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

neto

Hi All,

This is neto from Brazil

How are you?

You can configure NetApp (CIFS (SMB)) in a windows domain or workgroup and connect using smb from your apple client or configure NetApp (NFS - create a volume and export it) - use filerview or system manager to do it and mount the volume on your apple client (nfs)

All the best

neto

TODOS1997

"You can configure NetApp (CIFS (SMB)) in a windows domain or workgroup and connect using smb from your apple client or configure NetApp (NFS - create a volume and export it) - use filerview or system manager to do it and mount the volume on your apple client (nfs)"

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar how to connect using SMB from an apple client, because I have done this while connecting to a windows share on a NetApp. But I'm not familiar what needs to be done to configure the Netapp to be able to connect using SMB from an apple client. I haven't worked with NetApp that much, so if you could give me some examples of what needs to be done that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Stuart

neto

Stuart

This is neto from Brazil

How are you?

If you already have your NetApp working on AD domain (windows), use your mac client and make a test

Try to access:
netapp-IP\C$

Use your windows credentials (assuming that you are a windows domain admin)

All the best

neto

TODOS1997

Hi Neto,

Some more information that you should know. We don't have a windows AD domain here. I know, we are just working on standalone PC's, Mac's..  I don't have a domain admin account to log in. But the NetApp is running unix and we are able to access it from a Windows PC with a username/password that was setup on the NetApp. I will try to access the NetApp from a Mac client using: netapp-IP\C$. Do you know the full path I would need to type from a Mac client. I thought it would be using SMB:\\netapp-IP\C$.

Stuart

neto

Yes you are right

Use the administrator account created on netapp

TODOS1997

Hi, Okay, I have tried to connect to the NetApp from a Mac client using this path:

SMB://IP/sharename

and this is the error message I am receiving:

There was a problem connecting to the server "X.X.X.X"

The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system

administrator to resolve the problem.  The version we have is  Data ONTAP Release 7.2.3P6

and its an FAS 270.

First, is this the right path I would use to connect and second, based on the error message, we need to upgrade the version. What would be the correct upgrade from 7.2.3P6.

Thanks

Stuart

shane_bradley

POst the results of the following from your filers console

options cifs

Maybe you've got some issues with the SMB version the filer is trying to use?

TODOS1997

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by posting the results from the filers console

options cifs

Can you give me an example of what I need to look for in the FilerView. What I'm wondering is because of the error message I received when trying to connect from a Mac OSX running 10.6, that I would have to upgrade the version on the NetApp?

Thanks

guawebsys

If you've only used filerview:

Under "Filer" go to "Use Command Line" and a small Java app should launch in your browser.  If it does so you'll see a prompt such as netapp270> and you enter the command

netapp270> options cifs <return>

Which will list all the options the netapp has set for the cifs implementation.

If at all possible it would be better to connect directly to the console, it's a lot easer than using the Java thing.  Telnet over a network is usually enabled by default, ssh would be better but has to be enabled and configured.  Alternatively a zterm to the serial port.  Very well worth reading up about how to do this because there is a lot to Netapp and OnTap that isn't accessible through FilerView and it sounds as if you're begining to step into that territory.

Matthew

Public