Network and Storage Protocols

Is it possible to convert an iSCSI LUN into an NFS export

chris_davis

I have an FAS2040 running 7.3.2RC1.

I have a shelf of SATA drives that are configured as a LUN that is mounted from a Windows 2008 server.

That user is removing his 2008 server and replacing it with Linux.  During his migration I would like to convert his LUN into a straight volume and share it via NFS.

Is it possible to do this in real-time without destroying any of his data?  I don't really have the space to move his data off of the filer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

No, it is not possible. The only possibility is host-based copy from LUN to NFS mounted file system. You obviously need sufficient amount of space on filer during copy.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

aborzenkov

No, it is not possible. The only possibility is host-based copy from LUN to NFS mounted file system. You obviously need sufficient amount of space on filer during copy.

chris_davis

That's what I was afraid of.  Thanks for the quick response.  I was not expecting an answer that soon!

bigbenten

What if the situation is the other way round? I've got a volume initially shared as NAS and now I would like to convert it to LUN and present to a Windows Server. I am still in test stage but I still fail to see this volume during the create LUN wizard but I can see other volume similarly. What did I miss out?

aborzenkov

It is not possible to do on NetApp. You will have to copy volume content to LUN using host based tools.

bigbenten

Hi Aborzenkov, I thought NetApp System Manager does provide the wizard to perform the conversion. just in my case, I could not see the volume that I intent to convert to LUN. But all other volumes can be seen and considered entitled for conversion. By the way, we are not CLI expert and do rely much on GUI of System Manager 1.1 now.

aborzenkov

SystemManager does not “convert volume to LUN”. It creates LUN on volume, which is entirely different thing. It could be intelligent enough to recognize existing share on volume and to not offer it for LUN creation according to best practices (do not mix files and LUNs on the same volume).

Public