Network and Storage Protocols

Locked file doesn´t show username

connoisseur

Hi!

I have a customer running an active-active 3170 configuration with ONTAP 8.0.2P3 7-Mode.

They use it for home and common documents file server running on CIFS protocol.

Since a couple of weeks back when a file is locked, the message the user gets doesn´t inform on which users has it locked.

Earlier you saw the persons userID but now it just say "the file is locked by "company name" user"

We haven´t changed anything on the filer.

What causes the username to be listed or not in this message?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nigelg1965

The MS office applications gets the details for "the file is locked by " from what has been set in the Options / username field rather than from an O/S call to get the file system lock owner.

I expect your customer has done a PC image or application update.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

martin_fisher

Hi - is the error message displayed when your user tries to open the file/document? sounds like it is a MS Office document.

You could have a look at CIFS Sessions on the Filer and see who has a session connected..and/or CIFS stat.

connoisseur

Hi Martin!

Yes, you are correct, it´s MS documents.

I often get tickets asking to check and break locks.

I user 'lock status -p cifs -f /vol/volume/qtree/etc/'

But the user before could see if a colleague had it locked and ask him/her to close the documents.

But as for now, they only see that a user has it locked, not which user.

nigelg1965

The MS office applications gets the details for "the file is locked by " from what has been set in the Options / username field rather than from an O/S call to get the file system lock owner.

I expect your customer has done a PC image or application update.

martin_fisher

Your only other option, would be to perform a CIFS restart on the filer, to restart the service. However I dont think its an issue with the Filer. The user name and company metadata is normally within the application as nigelg1965 stated.

connoisseur

OK, thanks guys

nigelg1965

To unlock the files / determine who has it open, the simplest solution may be to point MS Computer manager at the filer. Assuming the customer has its own windows admin people but are not NetApp skilled.

connoisseur
Public