Network and Storage Protocols

Mac OSX cannot search CIFS shares on NetApp (spotlight finder)

scottgelb

Anyone know if there is a BURT or issue with OSX and search?  Everything works great from their OSX clients except for search.  Maybe it isn't supported, but I didn't find anything saying it isn't.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

The customer tested the OSX machine to a Windows server with the same result... so an OSX, not a NetApp issue and the netapp case is closed.

With OSX 10.6, search works if you don't use wildcards (but takes a long time to search).

With OSX 10.7 (Lion) search no longer works to windows or netapp cifs shares

Some posts on Mac forums about this but great to report not a netapp issue and netapp support was able to follow up and report back on this case.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

crocker

Hi,

You may want to ask this question in the NetApp Support Community.  The current customers, partners and internal Subject Matter Experts are addressing technical product questions there.

Mike

scottgelb

I posted on the support community. I didn't know there was a separate site. Any reason it isn't a group under this site? One point of access would be my preference then choose support community to post in instead of a new instance of Jive.

crocker

Hi,

While it is not the best user experience, we have set up the two instances to serve unique purposes and are supported by different teams.  The focus for this community is marketing and sales related activities.  The focus on the Support Community is technical product information for existing customers and partners.

I am working to have the Support community feel more like a wellness center and not an emergency room.  We are working to provide value beyond just solving an current issue.  For example, we have started Ask the Expert sessions to provide more a deeper dive into improving product usage.

Thanks for the comment.

Mike

scottgelb

Still confusing...

JANDREWARTHA

Can you tell your corporate masters that it's very confusing? I see that the support community requires login and hence is not visible in web searches, it's no wonder that people are asking for support here because that's where searches lead them. Plus, there's exactly zero indication of the reason for two communities apart from your comment here and NetApp staff asking for people to post in the support community when there's no answers.

scottgelb

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone 4S

scottgelb

The customer tested the OSX machine to a Windows server with the same result... so an OSX, not a NetApp issue and the netapp case is closed.

With OSX 10.6, search works if you don't use wildcards (but takes a long time to search).

With OSX 10.7 (Lion) search no longer works to windows or netapp cifs shares

Some posts on Mac forums about this but great to report not a netapp issue and netapp support was able to follow up and report back on this case.

fenton

I recently tested this on my Mac (Lion - 10.7.3) and it worked fine...

Here's what I did...

I created a standard CIFS volume and share on my Filer (Volume - RF_TEST, Share - RFTEST) - I used Systems Manager to create my volume.  Next I mounted the share over SMB on my Mac (passing my filer domain credentials in the process):

I write files into the directory:

After about 30 seconds – Spotlight has the files indexed and results are shown (not sure if the number of files has a relation to the amount of time the index is shown):

Showing in Finder:

Full info to show it's on the Share:

scottgelb

We had the same issue even to a widows server do it wasn't an ontap issue. Sounds like it could be time to process the data in the share but more likely a fix in the latest lion code.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Public