Network and Storage Protocols

Netapp FAS 3140 Network performance is attached with this post

rashid_info

We have degraded network performance in our FAS3140, took out network report from "Filler view" and attached to this post, if possible please see .

I doubt all network routed from "management "e0M" port inspite of ready "vif" port. Is that so ??? it might be because of management port is in same subnet of "vif" subnet.

If this is the case can I disable my "e0M" port on both the active/active filler ???? & let verify if some network (read/write) speed gains.

Basically we find some slowness in CIFS share.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rashid_info

I've just attached "ifconfig -a" & "netstat -rn" details on jpeg.Please have a look, Initially I;m interested in disabling "e0M" port on both the filler to see if the performance comes-up, & for management i can use "vif" IP because I don't think it will consume heavy bandwidth.

But I don't wanted to go with "options" disabling CIFS from e0M port at-least by now.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

VAMSINTAP

can you check your routing and also  paste ifconfig -a output to see if the ip of the cifs is attached to the vif  and not the e0m

rashid_info

I've just attached "ifconfig -a" & "netstat -rn" details on jpeg.Please have a look, Initially I;m interested in disabling "e0M" port on both the filler to see if the performance comes-up, & for management i can use "vif" IP because I don't think it will consume heavy bandwidth.

But I don't wanted to go with "options" disabling CIFS from e0M port at-least by now.

scottgelb

Makes sense. Disabling e0M since it is on the same subnet is a good option. Then delete and readd the default route (or reboot or takeover/giveback). Update the rc file to comment the e0M ifconfig and you can manually down the interface of you decide to not reboot.

rashid_info

I'm planning to disabling "e0M" port on both the filler through filler view (web management).Is there anything else else I've to do ??

Default route is already : 10.0.20.1 the why need to delete & add once again, do I need to update rc file because if it boot next time so it should not enable "e0M" port ?? is that what you mean ?

Is it possible to give a process of doing it,  command or web management wise here  ???

scottgelb

I wouldn't use Filerview for networking changes. You need to readd the route since it is bound to e0M.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

scottgelb

You can manually put a "#" comment in the rc file on the ifconfig to e0M... then you could schedule a reboot or takeover/giveback and be done.  Or you can also comment out and instead of reboot you could ifconfig e0M down, then route delete default then route add default (manually from the cli)...make sure you are on the RLM of the 3140 though since you can lose your route to host if not on the same subnet as the vif.  Whenever changing network settings, always use the RLM or console.

rashid_info

Scott,

Could you please help me in giving the procedure to disable "e0M" port and make "vif1" & "vif2" for traffic.

Please put step wise.all the command which required.

Thanks,

scottgelb

needs editing of your existing rc and hosts files. Putting a pound sign on front of th le e0M ifconfig and making sure the host name is not bound to e0M in hosts but to a vif. Probably should have some ps or onsite help if not able to edit those files. We could give examples but you still need to edit your files.

scottgelb

Looks like the default route is e0M. I the same subnet as the vif That isn't ideal and usually just disable e0m and manage through the vif too which isn't a lot of traffic. To disable e0m you also need to delete and reads the default route after don't binds to the vif. Netstat -rn will show it bound to e0M until then.

You can also run options interface and are that you can disable cifs over the management port. It again of the same subnet as the vif we recommend my using it.

rashid_info

rashid_info

I've disable my e0M port, now "route -s" is showing all "vif1" but the speed of reading & writing is same as like before in-fact I can say lesser then earlier.what to do now ?? If I'm copying any CIFS shared folder of 4 Gb in the other volume of same filler , writing speed is varying in between 18 MB/s to 30 MB/s.

Is this speed is fair for FAs 3140 ???? what to do now to increase a NAS (read, write) speed.

Public