Network and Storage Protocols

Netbios use or not?

Roeliezzz

Hi,  we are trying to eliminate use of NetBIOS in our customer DOMAINS. However, the wintel guys don't know if they use it.

After reading today I was under the impression if they use AD/DNS there is no need for NetBIOS?

If anyone can enlighten on this or have a good document that would be great - thanks.

Also I'm unclear as to what the below means: is-nbns-enabled" FALSE mean that it is off for both settings?

vserver               is-netbios-over-tcp-enabled           is-nbns-enabled

svm1                   true                                                            false                                              domain A

svm2                   false                                                           true                                               domain B

2 REPLIES 2

hmoubara

Hello,

You are correct, since you are using AD/DNS there is no need to use NetBios name service. I was not able to find some document or article for further clarification but you can check the below documentation:

https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/topic/com.netapp.doc.cdot-famg-cifs/GUID-16905FD4-758F-441D-A5D4-820A46EC209C.html

As for the settings ( is-netbios-over-tcp-enabled &  is-nbns-enabled) is set to either false or true per vserver (svm).

In the example provided, vserver svm1 have the is-netbios-over-tcp-enabled setting set to true which is enabled and the "is-nbns-enabled" setting set to false which is mean is not enabled. The vserver svm2 has the options set the opposite.

Below command can help you change both options:

vserver cifs options modify -vserver <vserver name> -is-nbns-enabled <true/false>

vserver cifs options modify -vserver <vserver name> -is-netbios-over-tcp-enabled <true/false>

Thanks

Roeliezzz

Thanks. Netapp support advised me if  "is-nbns-enabled" is FALSE then NetBiOS cannot be in use on the SVM. So even if

is-netbios-over-tcp-enabled is True given that the other setting is FALSE then NetBIOS cannot be in use.

However, I have found the above isn't the case. I still see NetBios being used:

vserver cifs session show -instance -node * -vserver SVM1 -protocol-version *

EG: Session ID: 9569304783xxxxxxxxx
Connection ID: 3725xxxxxx
Incoming Data LIF IP Address: 172.24.xx.xx
Workstation IP Address: 10.xx.xx.xx
Authentication Mechanism: Kerberos
User Authenticated as: domain-user

NetBIOS Name:  xxxxxxxxxx

If anyone can help - much appreciated.

Public