Network and Storage Protocols

Newbie Help

ittechnical

Netapp System Manager

Hi just need some guidance, do you create a volume first and then create the lun after inside the volume.

Its been a bit confusing, we have a volume that ran out of space and this caused booting problems for that server, found if we disconnected the server from the san it booted.

Anyway, we deleted the volume etc. Now on recreating when we create the Lun/Volume the volume shows straight away its 95% used, if I create the volume first its 0% but then when I create the lun it changed to 95%. Does this mean its not actually full of 95% data just that the LUN has taken 95% of the volumes space?

Many thanks, hope I explained it okay, cheers

2 REPLIES 2

BrendonHiggins

Welcome to the community and the world of NetApp.  By the sounds of it you have some learning to do.

Physical disks make up an aggregate

Volumes can contain qtrees or luns

Qtrees in volumes can contain Luns

Therefore create the volume then LUN.  If you have snapdrive, it can sort this out for you.  Plus block align and all that good stuff.

Hope it helps

Bren

radek_kubka
if I create the volume first its 0% but then when I create the lun it changed to 95%. Does this mean its not actually full of 95% data just that the LUN has taken 95% of the volumes space?

Yep, that's exactly the case.

For that reason I prefer to do large, thinly provisioned volumes (vol options <vol name> guarantee none). I also like thinly provisioned LUNs (lun set reservation <lun path> disable), but that's a subject to a separate discussion!

Regards,
Radek

Public