Network and Storage Protocols

One computer cannot access the NetApp CIFS shares

SteveAPMA

Hello,

We recently moved our network shared files from a windows file server to shares on a NetApp.  I have one computer (out of 50+) that will not connect to the shares with the wired network connection.  The wireless connection works perfectly.

Wired will map the drives, but when I try to access the folders I get a message that “an error has occurred while reconnecting J: … the local device name is already in use”

I have tried disconnecting the mapping but no change.

I cannot browse to the root name of the server, but I can browse to \\nameofnetapp\ and see the shares, but when I click on one it says

“\\nameofnetapp\projects is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The specified network name is no longer available.”

I can ping the root name of the server and get the IP of the netapp.  Tried releasing and renewing in ipconfig, dnsflush, dnsregister, but no luck.

I am thinking it must be a DNS problem, or possibly a permission problem, but can't find the solution.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SteveAPMA

Tried some of the suggestions offered without success.  Removing the network adapter driver and then updating to a newer version of the driver solved the problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

nicholaf

Try it with the IP address instead of the hostname. \\10.10.10.10\projects

Regards,

Nicholas Lee Fagan

tomers

Hi There, 

Please share more info;

What is the OS on the faulty machine ?

Do you have more machines with the same OS that can connect to the shares ?

Did you try to use the network 'wire' of a working machine with the faulty one ?

What is the IP of thefaulty machine and did you tried to use the IP of a working machine ?

Did you tried to delete the saved credentials on the faulty machine (control panel > credential manager) 

What is the order of the network adapters on the faulty machine  ? (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > advanced > advanced settings)

What type of netapp do you have ?

What is the Ontap code version ?

How does the network is config ?

Did you tried to connect to the netapp using the machine IP ? (this iliminate the DNS)

*also please shares the cmd output of 

options cifs

options ss

cifs shares

cifs domaininfo

dns info

Tomer.

SteveAPMA

What is the OS on the faulty machine ? Windows 7

Do you have more machines with the same OS that can connect to the shares ? Yes - more than 40 other Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 and 2012 machines.

Did you try to use the network 'wire' of a working machine with the faulty one ? Yes - the computer can access the network, servers, just not the shares on NetApp.

What is the IP of thefaulty machine and did you tried to use the IP of a working machine ? Address is from DHCP.  Did not try to give a different address yet.

Did you tried to delete the saved credentials on the faulty machine (control panel > credential manager) If it is credentials why would the wireless connection work?

What is the order of the network adapters on the faulty machine  ? (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > advanced > advanced settings) Does this matter if I disable the wireless adapter?

What type of netapp do you have ? FAS2552

What is the Ontap code version ? 7

How does the network is config ? 

Did you tried to connect to the netapp using the machine IP ? (this iliminate the DNS)  Not yet. But I can ping the device using share name or IP address.  I can map the shares but cannot open them.

SteveAPMA

Tried some of the suggestions offered without success.  Removing the network adapter driver and then updating to a newer version of the driver solved the problem.

Aleks_Raf

Hi!

We have the same problem! 

Which network adapters was affected for you?

Our problem with Realtek.

Your decision is working (removing the network adapter driver and then updating to a newer version of the driver solved problem), but we want to understand the reason of this problem!

Could you explain this for us?

Public