Network Storage Protocols Discussions

Ontap 8.1 Cluster Mode w/Cluster Peer 3000 miles away

PMCANDREW

Hello,

I have a question about the limits of cluster peers in 8.1CM. Let's assume the following:

1. Brocade VDX ethernet fabric in two data facilities, LA and NYC

2. Ethernet fabric extended from NYC to LA via 1Gbps ethernet private line

3. 2 FAS32xx dual controller w/FCoE CNA's running 8.1CM - a pair per facility

Can I create a single namespace file system with the ethernet fabric extended (compressed and encrypted via Brocade VCS Fabric Extension) to the other two FAS32xx nodes? My thinking is that if I can stretch layer 2 from NYC to LA and have a single global namespace. This way I can have multiple "active-active" datacenters serving structured content anywhere.

Is this possible over such a distance? Is a WAN accelerator recommended for "semi-sync" replication? I think the distance might be the gating factor here, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The goal is a single namespace w/ONTAP 8.1 ala GlusterFS and Isilon - but with an FC target for databases and NFS for everything else.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

1 REPLY 1

aaronh

No, this solution is currently not supported. May I suggest contacting your local NetApp SE and cluster-mode expert for a more detailed discussion? There may be other ways to provide the functional outcome you are seeking.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public