Network and Storage Protocols

Problems reinstalling Ontap 7.3.3

kurtgandy21

I am having problems reinstalling ontap 7.3.3. on a FAS3020.

1. I created a CIFS share and downloaded the Ontap files (733_netboot.e & 733_setup_e.exe) from

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ontap/7.3.3/vindex.shtml

to the /etc/software directory.

2. I have puttied into the console and I am running the following command.

npnetapp105>software update 733_setup.e.exe

npnetapp105> software update 733_setup_e.exe  

software: File 733_setup_e.exe not found.
software: installation of 733_setup_e.exe was not successful

What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

Excellent...good to hear it upgraded. But something is not right with your nfs export or cifs share.  The file has to reside in /etc/software on the FAS controller.  If copying to /etc/software didn't work, then /etc/software is a mount point somewhere else.  I suspect that your mount point is already at ETC$.  So when you copied the file it was in /etc/etc/software and then was moved to /etc/software.  Mount C$ or /vol/vol0 (or whatever root is) then you will probably find the nested /etc/etc directory.   Running "priv set advanced ; ls /etc/software" will show that the file is in the correct path.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kurtgandy21

I'm using this table as a reference.

If you want to...Then you can enter...

Install the new system files from the /etc/software directory

software update my_73_setup_i.exe -d -r

Download the new system files to the boot device immediately after installing them

software update my_73_setup_i.exe -r

Copy and install the image from your HTTP server

software update http://www.example.com/downloads/pc_elf/my_73_setup_i.exe

Copy from your HTTP server and overwrite an existing image

software update http://www.example.com/downloads/pc_elf/my_73_setup_i.exe -f

Perform an upgrade on a single system and reboot immediately

software update my_73_setup_i.exe

(Omit the -d and -r options to reboot automatically as soon as the download process completes.)

You can also omit these options for a standard upgrade of systems in an active/active configuration, but only after entering the cf disable command.

Do not enable automatic reboot if you need to upgrade firmware.

scottgelb

What is the output of "software list" ?  That will show the contents and the file likely doesn't exist as typed...could be a case sensitive issue or written to another controller...  You can also "priv set advanced ; ls /etc/software".  Also, you don't need the netboot file, just the executable elf code for the 3020.  The update command will download and extract the boot image to the flash card.

roman_verysell

Don't forget about filename case.

733_setup_e.exe and 733_setup_e.EXE can be different names for *NIX-like OS

danielpr

You might have to check if software list cli able show up the file which you downloaded.

Thanks

Daniel

kurtgandy21

When I run the software list command  nothing comes up.

scottgelb

Then it wasn't written to this controller.  It was written to /etc/software somewhere else.  software list will list all software in that directory, or "priv set advanced ; ls /etc/software".

kurtgandy21

I rebooted the filer and then looked at share then moved the file to /software instead of  /etc/software then I ran the software list and wham- the file was there. I ran the software update command and all is good. Thanks for the help.

scottgelb

Excellent...good to hear it upgraded. But something is not right with your nfs export or cifs share.  The file has to reside in /etc/software on the FAS controller.  If copying to /etc/software didn't work, then /etc/software is a mount point somewhere else.  I suspect that your mount point is already at ETC$.  So when you copied the file it was in /etc/etc/software and then was moved to /etc/software.  Mount C$ or /vol/vol0 (or whatever root is) then you will probably find the nested /etc/etc directory.   Running "priv set advanced ; ls /etc/software" will show that the file is in the correct path.

Public