Network and Storage Protocols

Pros and Cons of Upgrading 1GB NIC to 10GB

NAYABSK

Hi All,

I am going to replace my 1GB NIC card with 10GB on my filer the over all idea is to get better performance for my NFS shares apart from this are there any limitations ??? implementing this.

Appreciate your Help

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yannb

That's probably a good thing to do, but did you take a look at the overall performances of the filer ? Did you consider that you might not be saturating the 1G link(s?).

Basically, the filer with have more bandwidth to handle connexions from the 1GB clients, that's quite straightforward.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

yannb

That's probably a good thing to do, but did you take a look at the overall performances of the filer ? Did you consider that you might not be saturating the 1G link(s?).

Basically, the filer with have more bandwidth to handle connexions from the 1GB clients, that's quite straightforward.

NAYABSK

Yeah my 1GB was not able to handle the load causing performance issue thats the reason why im going to 10GB , So it will be straight forward by the way the model is FAS2240

nigelg1965

A couple of other things to consider:

The 2240 has limited expansion, a single slot per controller. It's a choice of either a dual-port 10GbE or 8Gb FC mezzanine card.

You've 4 x 1Gb ethernet ports per head, bonding them together using LACP or similar might be a more cost effective solution.

NAYABSK

Thanks for your help

Public