Network Storage Protocols Discussions

Question about takeover/giveback and cifs/nfs

adamgross

I needed to reboot a controller last night to clear a false error message regarding a new shelf installation.  In the process I did a takeover, rebooted the controller, and then a giveback.  Everything appeared to move between controllers as intended and I didn't have any immediate reports of any issues.  Unfortunately, this morning I received a report of a hung Xen server that has an NFS datastore.  I was under the impression that during a takeover/giveback you would lose CIFS sessions, but not NFS.  Can someone verify please?  I'd like to clarify if I made a mistake during this controller reboot or if something is not functioning correctly.  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

rwelshman

I would recommend checking the disk timeout on the Xen Server - if it is too small, it would notice the delay during the failover / giveback process and cause an issue.

radek_kubka

Also bear in mind all the networking settings must be spot on, so the partner head can be accessed by the same host(s) - sounds simple, but I've seen many situations where it was a major stumbling block

Regards,

Radek

FLECHABUS

I have been on the same situation, but i had seen that in the normal situation a 1-3 second interruption is normal!

Prepare the XEN to resist that and you will be fine!

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public