Network and Storage Protocols

Quota on subfolder?

MCHIAPUSSO

Hello All,

We want to move all the file sharing from an Windows Storage Server to our FAS.

On the Windows we have a lots of CIFS share as follows for our departmental shares:  /datvol/doc01/ and underneath are a series of directories for depts such as accounting, marketing, callcenter, etc.

The share will be created on the qtree like /vol/datvol/doc01/

Actually granular permissions are  applied through NTFS on the subdirectories and are based on "per folder" groups reflecting dept. & role.

How we could the same on the FAS? We would like to avoid 3rd party software... Maybe we could use sym link... Any experience or ideas?

Rgds

3 REPLIES 3

MCHIAPUSSO

Hi Chris,

actually I have ie \dir\docs\user1 \dir\docs\user2 etc etc till \dir\docs\userN.

fo rmy understanding if I would like to preserve the "per folder" quota restrictions, I will create a qtree like /dir/docs with quota policy applied. after that I will create on the /etc/symlink.translations an entry like

Map /dir/docs/user1/* /docs/user1/* 

And I'll be able to apply quota policies at /docs/user1/*? Am I correct?

chriskranz

Yes sorry Marco, you can easily achieve that by using the wildcard in the quota setting. I got the impression you were looking to have deeper sublevels of specific quota's which would be a little harder to achieve. If you are just looking at doing this on a global level with wildcards, this should be easy to achieve with the standard layout and quotas and without doing anything too complex with the data layout.

MCHIAPUSSO

Chris you are right. We need to get a granular quotas on subfolder that is not so simple to achive on Netapp. My idea is use sym link to get this goal.... without buying 3rd party software....

Public