Network and Storage Protocols

Reshare a CIFS Share

CTAVERAS200

Here is my issue.

I have a CIFS share with about 2TB of user data, we currently us Backup Exec to safeguard the Data.  Unfortunaly to back up the CIFS share I have to add the Filer to backup exec as an NDMP source.

after all was said and done we find out the hard way that BEXEC cannot Dedupe data when the source is NDMP....GREAT!!!  All of our backups are disk to disk but this has been going to tape...AND I HATE IT!

I want to go back to disk2disk.  Also to restore just one darn file BEXEC has to run through all 2TB of data before it even attempts a restore.

My question is it possible to RESHARE the CIFS share to a Virtual WIN server and have BEXEC backup the files through the Windows VM that way I can at least start to dedupe the data again and i can move away from tape...again.

Im sure backup will be slower but I can deal with it if i can go back to deduping the data again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

till_echterhof

yes, with a local backup exec remote agent on these windows vm you can backup your network share. you only need map your cifs share as network drive! but as you said it will be not very fast and it is not recommended..

if you choose your deduplication pool as media destination for your ndmp backup it will deduplicated at the target (on the pool). it's right that the data will not deduplicated at the source but at the destination (the pool).

different with a backup exec remote agent on a server, there are you able to deduplicate at the source and only need to send the "delta" to the backup server.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

dhavalb

Hi

To provide the more accurate answer, I will need few more details. Plesae be as detailed in your answers as possible.

Can you please clarify, "BEXEC cannot Dedupe data when the source is NDMP" do you mean you are using dedupe from BEXEC or you are using Dedupe on netapp controllers?

Also when you say Re-share, do you mean to expose the same share again?

Thanks

Dhaval - NTAP

CTAVERAS200

do you mean you are using dedupe from BEXEC or you are using Dedupe on netapp controllers?

Yes dedupe is done on the BEXEC server,  being that the source is the Filer via NDMP, BEXEC cannot dedupe.  This was confirmed with NETAPP cant dedupe an NDMP source with BEXEC.

Also when you say Re-share, do you mean to expose the same share again?

Yes I would like for the time being to reshare the CIF Share through another Windows box and back up that way.

bernd_wolters

Hi,

if you have an 10GB option to backup the share from an Windows-Server it could be an alternative.  Are you using Remote-NDMP or Direct-NDMP?

With Remote-NDMP you send the Data to the Backup-Server and then to Dedup-Pool or Tape. With that Options you can run Dedupe on the Backup server.

Notice that with BackupExcec 2010 you have a maximum Dedup-Pool of 16TB (Netbackup 64TB)

Did you thing about a VTL replacing your Tape-Architecture? This could reduce your RTO and offers Dedupe as well.

Regards bernd

CTAVERAS200

Im a bit confused as to what your asking, but the filers I am backing up are local to me, onsite.  I would assume I am using direct NDMP as i dont recall a direct/remote setting anywhere.

The tape Architecture was replaced long ago but i had to revert back to it soley because of this issue  my goal is to get rid of the need to go to tape .

till_echterhof

Direct-NDMP means backup from filer to a direct connected tape drive (fc based).. remote-NDMP sends the data at first to the backup host (lan based) and then to destination. you configure it only with the destination/media setting (tape library or dedup-pool) in backup exec.. there are no additional options in the GUI

CTAVERAS200

Then its remote as it goes from Filer to Bexec then to tape.

peter_lehmann

The most elegant way to accomplish this would be:

SnapVault

And if you would still have the need to get the data to tape (most of the cases not really), then you could NDMP it from the SnapVault destination.

Remember, BackupExec is a "midrange" Backup Software, which is why it has some limitations...

Peter

CTAVERAS200

Agreed, however our rep is not playing ball so to speak.  When we dicovered this issue and requested a quote for another populated disk shelf.....Well turns out that they want us to buy another two controllers instead of a disk shelf.  And they have priced it lower than the shelf, which to us makes NO SENSE!  We dont need it, we have two controllers on site and two at our D&R site.  Until my IT DIR can work this out i am left with trying to find a way around this NDMP issue with BEXEC hence my question.  We are already licensed for Snap Vault we just dont have the enough storage to to dedicate to backing up the CIF share with Snap vault.

till_echterhof

what is the backup exec version? 2010 R3?

CTAVERAS200

Correct. Updated a few days ago, SymTech says they will be supporting deduping an NDMP source but Im not holding my breathe.

CTAVERAS200

So is what I want to do possible?

till_echterhof

yes, with a local backup exec remote agent on these windows vm you can backup your network share. you only need map your cifs share as network drive! but as you said it will be not very fast and it is not recommended..

if you choose your deduplication pool as media destination for your ndmp backup it will deduplicated at the target (on the pool). it's right that the data will not deduplicated at the source but at the destination (the pool).

different with a backup exec remote agent on a server, there are you able to deduplicate at the source and only need to send the "delta" to the backup server.

CTAVERAS200

SO I mapped the folders direct to the backup server, however the newly mapped drives do not show up, im wondering if NDMP is not allowing me somehow.

terrymayer

windows 2008 has a much much faster CIFS  -- the backup could be as much as twice as fast as a share being backed up on a 2003 server  -- just a FYI -- I think it uses SMB 2  -- check this http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/5cbaa1fe-da63-4bc9-b2b4-d55145f535b6/

CTAVERAS200

my bexec 2010 server is actually 2008 R2 STD, still cant see the net shares through bexec though.

till_echterhof

try to set the backup selection manually with the drive letter.. dont select with browsing..

have currently no BE to explain but you must be able to set the backup directory manually

CTAVERAS200

i know exactly what you mean ill give it a try and report back.

Public