Network and Storage Protocols

Restrict CIFS access based on IP address

cjeff

Hi there,

My customer wants to restrict CIFS access based on IP address, is this link the only solution?

https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=ntapcs1272

Can MultiStore do this?

Thanks,

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adamfox

I suppose it depends on what you mean.  I can think of 2 ways to do this.

1.  Only allow access to cifs shares based on CLIENT IPs.  In this case only a set of client addresses can access a particular share, but the request can come in on any interface on the storage.

2.  Only allow access to cifs shares based on SERVER (i.e. controller) IP.  So if a client connects to 10.1.1.2, they get access to a set of CIFS shares regardless of where they come from.  Coming into a controller on a different address would give access to different shares, or other services.

If you want to do #1, then the article you referenced is the answer.  If you want to do #2, MultiStore could be the answer or starting in either 7.2 or 7.3 you can restrict protocols on particular interfaces which could also be a solution.

So, it depends. (don't you just hate that?)

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

adamfox

I suppose it depends on what you mean.  I can think of 2 ways to do this.

1.  Only allow access to cifs shares based on CLIENT IPs.  In this case only a set of client addresses can access a particular share, but the request can come in on any interface on the storage.

2.  Only allow access to cifs shares based on SERVER (i.e. controller) IP.  So if a client connects to 10.1.1.2, they get access to a set of CIFS shares regardless of where they come from.  Coming into a controller on a different address would give access to different shares, or other services.

If you want to do #1, then the article you referenced is the answer.  If you want to do #2, MultiStore could be the answer or starting in either 7.2 or 7.3 you can restrict protocols on particular interfaces which could also be a solution.

So, it depends. (don't you just hate that?)

Hope this helps.

cjeff

I mean the first, thanks.

Public