Network and Storage Protocols

Should you be able to create a cifs share on v3140 filer A or B ?

richard_unsworth

We have a V3140 filer setup in give-away take-away cluster format, normal standard setup.

We can create cifs shares on filer A without a problem, open up windows explorer and copy data to it, browse to it etc.

When I create a cifs share on filer B, it allows me to do this but, if you try and browse or map a drive it fails stating it cannot find the location.

We have a cifs share on filer B but it is getting re-shared via services for UNIX (i believe) on another windows server opposed to a direct windows mapping.

Should I be able to create a cifs share on filer A and filer B or are they limited to just filer A for fail-over or something else that I am not aware of.

I have checked every single 'options' item between filer A & B and they are both configured the same way with an exception:

options nfs.v4.id.domain = xxxxx.corp on filer B where as on filer A it is blank - this is the only difference between the two setups.

Are there some other settings that I should be looking at outside of the OPTIONS settings that might be stopping us from mapping to this cifs share on filer B ?

Best Regards

Rich

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

richard_unsworth

Thanks for your help Henry.

After a long day of digging, it turns out that one of our guys had merged in the aix passwd and group file to try and get some user mappings going and that was the whole issue. I put the password file back to normal, re-setup cifs and everything worked like it should do.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

HENRYPAN2

Rich,

You may wish to double check the security default setting on filer B to make sure NTFS is selected.

Good luck

Henry

richard_unsworth

Thanks Hendry,

Yeah I checked those and it was set to unix, i reassigned to NTFS, stopped sharing, started sharing and the same results unfortunately.

HENRYPAN2

OK Rick,

You may wish to double check the CIFS license on head B.

Good luck

Henry

richard_unsworth

Thanks for your help Henry.

After a long day of digging, it turns out that one of our guys had merged in the aix passwd and group file to try and get some user mappings going and that was the whole issue. I put the password file back to normal, re-setup cifs and everything worked like it should do.

Public