Network and Storage Protocols

Verify if Server ip can talk to NetApp data lifs

protocult

Hey All,

How do I verify if my data lifs are reachable by a set of hosts (I obviously can ask the server folks to ping the data lif and check). Is there any other way I myself can identify if the server can see my lif's?

Lets say I'm new  member of the team and I have the unix folks asking for NFS storage. I know that my storage network is limited (not public) to a few vlans. What test or commad(s) can I run to check if the host ip can reach my netapp IPs.

Using CDOT 8.2.3

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

If cDOT 8.2, check the routing-group assigned to the lif "net int show -fields routing-group" then check the routes in that group "net routing-group route show ..."..

If cDOT 8.3, check the routes in the SVM.  "net route show"...

likely a default route missing...and 8.2/8.3 changed where routing is applied.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

scottgelb

You can ping the host from the lifs to test that it works one way...and then that will test gateway (if a different subnet) and routing and also dns if you ping by name.  You can also ping other data lifs in the cluster  and the default gateway.

protocult

thaks scott.

I can ping the host from the node.

nas01::> net ping -node nas01-ctrl1 -destination 10.21.149.74
  (network ping)
10.21.149.74 is alive

I cannot ping the host from the data lif.

nas01::> net ping -lif nas-lif7 -lif-owner nas01-svm2 -destination 10.21.149.74
  (network ping)
no answer from 10.21.149.74

What could be the issue here ?

scottgelb

If cDOT 8.2, check the routing-group assigned to the lif "net int show -fields routing-group" then check the routes in that group "net routing-group route show ..."..

If cDOT 8.3, check the routes in the SVM.  "net route show"...

likely a default route missing...and 8.2/8.3 changed where routing is applied.

Public