Network Storage Protocols Discussions

Widelink implementation - pointing CIFS share to Windows Share

pdt7269

I have a CIFS share on my FAS2040 that I want to migrate to a Windows Server. on the NetApp side the path is /vol/CIFS_VOL_Test./share On the windows side the UNC is \\server\test. I have created the file /etc/symlink.translations file and placed the following entry in it:

widelink /vol/CIFS_VOL_Test/share/* \\server\test\*

I have widelink enabled on the volume containing the share. When I display CIFS Shares the cifs share in question displays the following:

... widelinks supported
... strict symlink security disabled

when I access the cifs share on the netapp is does not redirect. What steps, if any, am I missing? 

Thank you for your assistance. 

2 REPLIES 2

SeanHatfield

I suspect you are missing the symlink.  The tranlations file tells the storage system how to tranlate the target path of a symlink into a path CIFS clients will understand.  In the widelink use case, the translated mapping is to a UNC path, but the translation only occurs when the CIFS client hits a symlink.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

pdt7269

thank you for your assistance. How do I go about implementing symlinks? 

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public