Network Storage Protocols Discussions

cifs broadcast

igor

Hello, all!

I've a virtualized lab with an ONTAP simulator which I tinker with to test stuff... Well, I tried using cifs broadcast command but without success.

I opened up some shares a workstation (within the domain) and from the domain controller, using 2 different usernames. I then tried sending out a broadcast for the volumes (shares) user PC was accessing...

storage> cifs sessions
Server Registers as 'STORAGE' in Windows 2000 domain 'LAB'
Filer is using sl for DOS users
Selected domain controller \\MERKUR for authentication
====================================================
PC IP(PC Name) (user)        #shares      #files
192.168.0.111() (LAB\administrator - root)
                      2         0
192.168.0.102() (LAB\pc - pcuser)
                      2         2
storage>
storage> cifs sessions PC

users
  shares/files opened

192.168.0.102() (LAB\pc - pcuser)
     HOME
     share1

storage>
storage> cifs broadcast -v vol1 "BOO!"
storage>
storage> cifs broadcast -v /vol/vol1 "BOO!"
storage>
storage> cifs broadcast 192.168.0.102 "BOO!"
storage>
storage> cifs broadcast LAB\pc "BOO!"

I did the same for the other username. Nothing happened. What am I missing?

Cheers,

Igor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shaunjurr

Hi,

The frameset URL is a little too unspecific, unfortunately, if you can't click down to the CIFS section on "Managing CIFS Services"

The more exact URL is: http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel7351/html/ontap/onlinebk/frameset.html

About this task

Data ONTAP automatically sends a message to connected users after you enter the cifs terminate command. However, if you want to send a message without stopping CIFS service, for example, to tell users to close all files, you can use Server Manager or the Data ONTAP command line to send a message.

Some clients might not receive broadcast messages. The following limitations and prerequisites apply to this feature:

• Windows 95 and Windows for Workgroups clients must have the WinPopup program configured.
  • Windows 2003 and Windows XP Service Pack 2 clients must have the messenger service enabled. (By default, it is disabled.)
  • Messages to users can only be seen by Windows clients connected using NetBIOS over TCP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

daehnrich_bsh

You dont get a return code from your command`?

Here it looks:

rsh Toaster cifs broadcast Workstation test

Station 10.128.40.209(Workstation) could not be notified

cheers Soeren

igor

Hi Soeren,

Yes, the first time I tried it I got "could not be notified" return comment.

I thought that it was becausee I only accessed the shares, but had no actual files open. So I opened up some files and tried again - but this time, no return comment was sent out at all.

Now I'm thinking, I used Vista and Server 2003 to test it - perhaps broadcasting option should somehow be enabled on these workstations? Or perhaps it requires SMB2 on storage side?

Igor

shaunjurr

Hi,

You might want to take a look at this info about CIFS broadcasts.  There are some limitations:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel7351/html/ontap/filesag/frameset.html

igor

Hmm, can't see any broadcast related info there.

shaunjurr

Hi,

The frameset URL is a little too unspecific, unfortunately, if you can't click down to the CIFS section on "Managing CIFS Services"

The more exact URL is: http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel7351/html/ontap/onlinebk/frameset.html

About this task

Data ONTAP automatically sends a message to connected users after you enter the cifs terminate command. However, if you want to send a message without stopping CIFS service, for example, to tell users to close all files, you can use Server Manager or the Data ONTAP command line to send a message.

Some clients might not receive broadcast messages. The following limitations and prerequisites apply to this feature:

• Windows 95 and Windows for Workgroups clients must have the WinPopup program configured.
  • Windows 2003 and Windows XP Service Pack 2 clients must have the messenger service enabled. (By default, it is disabled.)
  • Messages to users can only be seen by Windows clients connected using NetBIOS over TCP.

View solution in original post

igor

Ah yes, there we go.  Thank you. 🙂

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public