Network and Storage Protocols

configure interface to do list.

DUANESTRYDER

Hello,

I want to configure another interface in our controller for NFS traffic? Can anyone tell me what should be my to do list?

Here is the interface I have: one 10Gbe and two 1Gbe.

I plan to create vif0 (LACP) of  the two 1gbe. then I will create a single mode of the one 10Gbe and vif0. I will favor the 10Gbe interface.

Is this possible?

Is my steps in order correct?

1. Add the entry in /etc/hosts

2. create the VIFs

3. Create the interface (assign IP by pulling the IP from from the hosts file)

4. edit the /etc/rc

Anything I miss? I don't need to reboot or anything right?

9 REPLIES 9

ASHWINPAWARTESL

All looks fine to me. This is what I suggest.....

1. Create a lacp vif with 2 x 1G
2. Create a single mode vif with 1 x 10G
3. Create second-level Single mode VIF which will favor 10G network over 1G network.

This second-level interface group enables you to define the first-level VIFs as an active and a standby one.

For example:
ifgrp create lacp INT-1G -b ip e0a e0b
ifgrp create single INT-10G e1a
ifgrp create single vif_second_level INT-1G INT-10G
ifgrp favor INT-10G

By using second-level VIF it is possible to take advantage of both the link aggregation features of a lcap VIF and the failover capability of a single-mode VIF.

Reboot is not required, but to make these configurations persistent across reboots, they must be added to the /etc/rc file. Also, If you add any entry in /etc/rc files and you want to reload that entry in the memory then you can simple run the cmd “source”
toaster>source /etc/rc

On the side note:
Please note that lacp port-channel has to be configured on the access switch as well.

DUANESTRYDER

Thanks Ashwin.

One question. I was thinking that I should add the entry first in hostname. I will base it in what you have for example.

in host file I will add something like this.

192.168.x.25 filername-vif_second_level

So when I run the ifconfig I can do it this way:

ifconfig vif_second_level 'hostname'-vif_second_level flowcontrol full netmask 255.255.255.0 partner vif_second_level mtusize 9000

obviously the partner has to be configured the same. But is that correct?

DUANESTRYDER

if I want it to work without needing to reboot. lets say I already created the interfac groups, assigned an IP using ifconfig, edited host and rc files. Do I still need to do anything to make it work? Do I still need to run the source command?

ASHWINPAWARTESL

Your understanding is correct. You can add the entries in the hostfile and then pull from it.

sample - /etc/rc

ifgrp create lacp INT-1G -b ip e0a e0b

ifgrp create single INT-10G e1a

ifgrp create single vif_second_level INT-1G INT-10G

ifgrp favor INT-10G

ifconfig vif_second_level `hostname`-vif_second_level netmask 255.255.255.0 mediatype auto partner vif_second_level

route add default 192.168.168.1 1

routed on

options dns.domainname abc.def.in

options dns.enable on

options nis.enable off

savecore

sample - /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1         localhost
192.168.x.25   filername-vif_second_level
192.168.x.20   mailhost

Ping the interfaces to ensure that the hosts are updated.

Reboot is NOT required. I mentioned source command, it is only required if you make any changes to the existing file or added new entry directly into the file and you want to reload the configuration in the memory without reboot. (This is b'cos any changes to /etc/rc file are effective on subsequent reboot)

DUANESTRYDER

For the 10G card, can I create an lacp ifgrp for it even if it is only one interface? My premise is that in the future if we add more 10G interface, I can just add one more to it for link aggregation.

You told me to create a single for the 10G interface.

Thanks,

ASHWINPAWARTESL

Yes, you can. The reason I said single b'cos only one port was being used. But as you said, in future you can add to it. No problem. In either case, you can always make the changes.

DUANESTRYDER

So here is what I am planning and confirm if this will be the best approach:

1. Add the line in the host file of what I intended to use.

2. run the ifgrp create ifgrp favor then ifconfig to assign to IP (by pulling info from hosts file) (at this point after I run this, am I right in assuming that it should take into effect?)

3. add in rc so it will be persistent on reboot.

Thanks a lot!

ASHWINPAWARTESL

Looks good to me.

barthur

Does /etc/hosts need "filername" as well?

192.168.x.25   filername filername-vif_second_level

Public