Network and Storage Protocols

migrate EV data from an EMC Centera to Gateway Filer

bentdavi2

Hello

I have a question

I am planning to migrate EV data from an EMC Centera, I am using a gateway filer, with attached shelves.

What is the best way to do this?
SnapMirror?
Vol Copy?
Or ?

Thank you

David

URGENT

9 REPLIES 9

rodrigon

Hi !

Are you planning to delivery the EV Data LUNs to the Gateway Filer?

Nasc

NetApp - Enjoy!

bentdavi2

Hello Rodrigo

Thanks for the reply, I have no clue yet, I am looking for suggestions

It is an EMC CAS data migration, I have a Gateway Filer attached to the EMC

Box.

Any suggestions will be extremely appreciated

Best Regards

David Bentitou

N.Series Storage architect

Cell # 480-766-3574

Remember that the harder you work, the luckier you get.

Success is, going one step beyond the comfort zone

|

sheastewart

Hello

I do not have direct experience with the EMC Centera, but can make these suggestions (based on experience with EV and discussions with their training staff):

#1) Contact Symantec support for the proper guidelines surrounding the migration of this data...dealing with CAS storage solutions requires *special* handling and Symantec is usually very helpful! (EV is Centera aware, which means it likely handles the data in a different manner than if it is using NetApp)

#2) You will *likely* be performing a host based data migration, or an import/export. You cannot SnapMirror/VolCopy/etc. from EMC to NetApp.

#3) The EMC Centera cannot be a back end disk for a V-series Gateway filer. V-Series filers support EMC Clariion CX and Symmetrix DMX models only (http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/V-Series/supportmatrix/V-Series_SupportMatrix.pdf)

I'm not exactly clear on *how* your v-series filer is connected to the EMC Centera....could you please elaborate on this?

Thanks!

bentdavi2

Hello

I am not yet connected to anything.

It was suggested by Netapp that a Gateway filer should be purchased, with

additional disk shelves, and attach it to the Centera CAS

Then use some tools to migrate the EV data from the Centera, to the Gateway

filer attached shelves, then remove the Centera out, to be replaced by the

Netapp Gateway.

I am doing the legwork ahead of time to get as much info as I can , as well

as a solution.

Any Help will be very much appreciated

Thank you

Best Regards

David

bentdavi2,

A new message was posted in the thread "migrate EV data from an EMC Centera

to Gateway Filer":

http://communities.netapp.com/message/21553#21553

Author : sheastewart

Profile : http://communities.netapp.com/people/sheastewart

Most Recent Post:

sheastewart

Hi,

What I am having a hard time with is the phrase "Gateway filer should be purchased, with additional disk shelves, and attach it to the Centera CAS"...V-Series Gateways are wonderful products, however, I don't think it helps you any more in this situation than a normal FAS appliance - since Centera cannot publish it's storage to the V-Series Gateway.

More than likely you will need to setup a CIFS share on the NetApp (or publish a LUN w/ NTFS...your choice), and then use a host based solution to read the data from the Centera CAS and copy it to the NetApp. Afterwards you will likely go into the EV directory database and modify the location of your archive partitions (to reflect the NetApp UNC, rather than the Celerra). Symantec support should be involved with this... they will know exactly how to get the data out of the Centera (which stores it's files quite differently than a NetApp or alternative CIFS solution) and hopefully can provide some insight on how to perform the initial baseline copy while services are still active, if possible, to avoid a lengthy outage.

Sorry I can't be of more help on the Centera side...

bentdavi2

Hello

I thank you very much for your reply, I will call Symantec on Monday and

inquire.

Again Thank you very much.

Best Regards

David Bentitou

N.Series Storage architect

Cell # 480-766-3574

Remember that the harder you work, the luckier you get.

Success is, going one step beyond the comfort zone

|

sheastewart

no problem david, best of luck

Also, make sure to check out the EV8/NetApp deployment/TR guides if you haven't already

zev
NetApp

David,

NetApp has solutions to migrate data from Centera to NetApp. As others have noted, the V series does not support Centera. However, there are ways to migrate designed to improve the speed of migration, as well as reduce the impact on end users.

See our PS offering here: https://tech.netapp.com/community/pstn/dpr/ndas, which will specifically meet your needs for EV migration. There are additional options for other applications, such as ECM (FileNet, Documentum, etc.) and PACS (medical imaging) which are not yet listed on the site but which are available.

Feel free to contact the Practice Director, Jag Sahni, whose contact information is listed. Alternatively, you can have your NetApp Sales rep or SE contact me directly.

-- Zev

zev
NetApp

Here's an update on Centera Migration:

First, the location for more information on Centera assessment and migration services has moved to: https://tech.netapp.com/internal/03/technet_services_sol_cams.html

Second, in the US you can contact your local PS Engagement Manager (or your NetApp sales rep can do that for you, if you are a customer) for assistance with the services. I'm still available, of course.

Public