Network and Storage Protocols

nfs access

strattonfinance

could anyone tell me the steps required to access nfs volume from windows 2008 server

thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5

kusek

Mathew,

I've found some people will use Services for Unix or an equivalent often.

Here is an KB article which covers general windows access to NFS (Nothing specific to 2008 as of yet)

NFS Mounts with Windows hosts

Also if you want to check some Microsoft collatera on Services for NFS

Services for NFS Step-by-Step Guide for Windows Server 2008

This should get you on the right track to NFS access on a 2008 Server.

However, it would be wrong of me (me personally) from letting you go without asking - What in particular are you using NFS on your Server 2008 for, over a lun mount or CIFS?

Thanks!

Christopher

BrendonHiggins

I like to rule out security problems when testing something new.

Try creating a test volume and then share it out tempary using

exportfs -i -o /vol/vol0/testvname

Then try and map to it using your client. If you have console on the filer open it may show you why the client is failing to connect if you are still having problems.

nbernstein

Yep, to second the other folks here, nfs on windows works great. I've run databases over nfs on windows (scary, but true) and it worked fine. SFU probably works fine, but in the past, I used the open source cygwin program, which implements a unix posix environment on top of windows. I'd try that. You may have to look at the usermap.config file which maps windows and unix users to each other. If you don't use the same username in your domain and unix systems, then you need to do a manual mapping.

"domain\windows user" == unixuser

will give you a bidirectional mapping.

Cheers,

Nick

strattonfinance

Yep, to second the other folks here, nfs on windows works great. I've run databases over nfs on windows (scary, but true) and it worked fine. SFU probably works fine, but in the past, I used the open source cygwin program, which implements a unix posix environment on top of windows. I'd try that. You may have to look at the usermap.config file which maps windows and unix users to each other. If you don't use the same username in your domain and unix systems, then you need to do a manual mapping.

>

"domain\windows user" == unixuser

>

will give you a bidirectional mapping.

Thanks for the info.

Using usermap.cfg and specifying "domain\user" == unixuser, does the filer require access to the domain controller? Or does the request from the accessing Windows server contain the Windows domain / user and the filer just maps it according to the entry in usermap.cfg?

nbernstein

If you're mapping a domain user, you'd want to have access to a domain controller, but now that I think about it, I must have been tired last night - the whole point of doing nfs from a windows system is not to have to muck with the security style and mapping, so ignore me, that was advice I'd normally give for doing "normal" multiprotocol, eg: giving out the same files via nfs and cifs.

-N

Public