Network and Storage Protocols

nfs permission - some questions

WERNBACHER

Hy Guys!

I've a question in relation to Netapp and NFS shares!

1.) how can i manage the permissions for a nfs share?

so i've this nfs shares:

Volume           Tree            NFS ops         CIFS ops

--------         --------        -------         --------

nfstest               lock                828               0

nfstest               custloads            46               0

nfstest               templates           261               0

nfstest               storage              70               0

and i'll manage the permissions for the nfstest share to change from 770 to 777 and so on...

please discribe me in simple steps!

thx very much

10 REPLIES 10

aborzenkov

You mount it on Unix server and change permissions from there. Make sure to allow root on this server (option root=IP-or-name when exporting) so you can change permissions of any file/directory.

WERNBACHER

thx for your answer but the problem is that the directories always have the owner-name "nobody" and "nogroup" and the takeover from the ownership to root fails!

aborzenkov

Are you using NFSv4?

WERNBACHER

how can i check the version of nfs?

aborzenkov

which OS?

WERNBACHER

aborzenkov

Sorry, I mean - which OS is used on client?

OK, probably faster if you check on NetApp whether option nfs.v4.enable is set or not.

WERNBACHER

ah ok... i use debian 5.0 lenny

aborzenkov

Well. check if NFSv4 is enabled on filer. If it is - check mount options on client (file /proc/sekf/mounts wil show all mounted filesystems with options).

jcascanette

Are you using LDAP for user authentication or are you using local IDs on the NAS?

If local NAS authentication then your passwd and group files (etc\) need to have the same information as from the server mounting. So what ever they have on the server in the passwd and group files you need to have on the NAS passwd and group files. UID and GID have to match. Be careful that the syntax on the NAS group file is abit different from the server has listed. Once the passwd and group files are in sync then your nobody ownership issue will go away.

Also if you are not using NFSv4 then disable it. 🙂

Joe

Public