Network and Storage Protocols

one quota per volume not default quota and not per qtree?

PBANHOLZER

Hi,

I didn't find an answer to my question - so the details:

• we have several systems running Ontap 8.1.x
  • some volumes that are matched to departments
  • In these volumes we have several qtrees for cifs projectshares

Now I want to implement quota on these volumes like qtree quota. But I don't want the default qtree quota I want to have a quota on the volume and the projects share this quota.

I didn't want to implement quota at first but the users go on and fill the volumes to 100% and the oncommand monitoring is going crazy. So i'd like to make it quiet by putting a quota on this share.

I already tried

/vol/<volname>/ tree@/vol/<volname>/ 300G  - - - -

but Ontap tells me this is not a valid qtree name.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Patrick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PBANHOLZER

I now spoke to two different NetApp Engineers, who told me, that this is not possible.

For using this with CIFS Shares I should: create a volume with one qtree (quota to this qtree) and place additional folders in this qtree/share. So build the multiple "shares" with folders on cifs level.

This works but I have to migrate tons of data to solve my problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

PASCOMMCB

Hi,

you can still use the default quota to achieve this. you need to remove all the other quota entries in the /etc/quotas file except.

* tree@vol/volname/ size_gb - - - -

this means that all qtrees in this volume will have the same quota - i.e. the default quota above.

e.g you have qtree1, qtree2, qtree3 in vol1 and the only the following entry in your /etc/quotas file.

* tree@vol/vol1/ 10g - - - -

then qtree1,qtree2,qtree3 will all have 10g as quota.

Hope this can help.

PASCOMMCB

forgot to mention, you can increase the volume to 15gb for e.g. and have a default quota of 10gb on it so that your volume will never be 100% full but only the qtrees.

PBANHOLZER

Hi,

this doesn't help! I want something like this setup:

One Volume (e.g. 15GB) and several qtrees in this volume.

All volumes together should never use more than 10GB but I don't want to set quota to each qtree. Also one qtree should be able to use 7GB another one 2GB and some more, each less than a view 100MB. I just dont want to care which qtree uses how much space - i just want to protect the system from having full volumes.

PBANHOLZER

I now spoke to two different NetApp Engineers, who told me, that this is not possible.

For using this with CIFS Shares I should: create a volume with one qtree (quota to this qtree) and place additional folders in this qtree/share. So build the multiple "shares" with folders on cifs level.

This works but I have to migrate tons of data to solve my problem.

Public