Network and Storage Protocols

slow performance with SMB or CIFS shares from MacBook computers running OSX 10.10 Yosemite

Darren_Oakley

there seems to be some discussions int he past relating to Mac osx and cifs  perfomance but i cant seem to see if ther ehave been any recent posts to advise if the issues have been resolved

- Data copy rate from Netapp to MacBook is 1MB/sec, Data copy rate from NETAPP01 to Win 7 PC is 80MB/sec. Data copy rate from old NetGear NAS to MacBook is 8MB/sec, Data copy rate from old NetGear NAS to Win 7 PC is 90MB/sec. Both MacBook and PC have a Gbit connection to our Network

We have done some searching on the matter too, and agree the problem is pretty prevalent. We have tried some of the basic stuff we found. Our Filer NETAPP01 is enabled for SMB2, so we have tried forcing SMB1 using the CIFS:// prefix in place of SMB:// but to no avail.

the performance to the Macs is significantly slower than it was on our old Netgear 2100 NAS. It iis causing crashes on the MACS accessing files on the NETAPP. We believe it must be a protocol thing, and we hope that Netapp can at least provide configuration to match the old Netgear NAS.

has anyone else had issues with this and does anyone have any documention or advise for a workaround

Thanks

Darren

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MarcSchindler

Hello,

I recommend that you upgrade to 8.2.3Px, because there are many issues with SMB fixed and some of my customers use 8.2.3 oder 8.3 without any problems.

You should see following after the upgrade (without inline compression)...

Client: MacBook Pro Mid 2012 with 1Gb link and OSX 10.10.3 

Storage: FASxxxx with ONTAP 8.3

1) Performance: SMB1

~50MB/s one thread

~95MB/s two threads

2) Performance: SMB3
~95MB/s one thread
~110MB/s two threads

Best regards,

Marc

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mbeattie

Hi Darren,

Could you please specify the OS version of OSX and Data ONTAP (7-Mode or Clustered Data ONTAP?). I'd suspect this might be related to a client side protocol issue. I'd recommend troubleshooting this by setting both windows and mac clients to SMB1 and comparing the transfer speed then working your way up the versions of SMB until you identify which version is causing the issue. Some comments\proposed solution here

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5467191?start=15&tstart=0

echo "[default]" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf; echo "smb_neg=smb1_only" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf

To set the windows client SMB version:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

/matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Darren_Oakley

Hi Matt

The filer is on 8.2.1 [7-Mode]  FAS2220 

the mac are running OSX 10.10 Yosemite

dont seem to have na issue connecting like in the apple thread lnk you posted but its slow  compared to windows.

I thought i read somewhere that apple changed the smb  in yosemite but i cant find the link now

thanks for you advise and help

Darren

MarcSchindler

Hello,

I recommend that you upgrade to 8.2.3Px, because there are many issues with SMB fixed and some of my customers use 8.2.3 oder 8.3 without any problems.

You should see following after the upgrade (without inline compression)...

Client: MacBook Pro Mid 2012 with 1Gb link and OSX 10.10.3 

Storage: FASxxxx with ONTAP 8.3

1) Performance: SMB1

~50MB/s one thread

~95MB/s two threads

2) Performance: SMB3
~95MB/s one thread
~110MB/s two threads

Best regards,

Marc

Carlitozwy

Darren, I see that you are running 7-mode and indicated the OnTAP upgrade to P release resolved the Mac client issue. Which P release did that for you? We're running 7mode and have the same issue. Thanks

Public