Network and Storage Protocols

to move a share one level up from /vol/vol1/share1 to /vol/vol1

netappmagic

I have a share "share1",

>cifs shares share1

Name         Mount Point                       Description

----         -----------                       -----------

share1     /vol/vol1/share1         Created on 10/16/2013

what I can do to move the share1 to the volume, and wanted to be the following:?
Name         Mount Point                       Description

----         -----------                            -----------

share1     /vol/vol1                        Created on 10/16/2013

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

billshaffer

If all you want to do is move the target for the share, and not the data, then this is easy:

cifs shares -delete share1

cifs shares -add share1 /vol/vol1 <options>

cifs access share1 <ACLs>

where <options> are the share options for the existing share1, and <ACLs> are the current ACLs for share1.  You may need to remove the default "everyone/full control" ACL on the new share1.

When you access the new share, you'll see the share1 folder, and in that you'll see the data you usually see at the old share.

If you want to move the share and have it look the same, you'll need to migrate the data up one level, then change the shares.

Hope that helps

Bill

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

billshaffer

If all you want to do is move the target for the share, and not the data, then this is easy:

cifs shares -delete share1

cifs shares -add share1 /vol/vol1 <options>

cifs access share1 <ACLs>

where <options> are the share options for the existing share1, and <ACLs> are the current ACLs for share1.  You may need to remove the default "everyone/full control" ACL on the new share1.

When you access the new share, you'll see the share1 folder, and in that you'll see the data you usually see at the old share.

If you want to move the share and have it look the same, you'll need to migrate the data up one level, then change the shares.

Hope that helps

Bill

netappmagic

Hi Bill,

I understand all your said about deleting and then adding the share, but with the exception of the following. How do I migrate the data up one level? Should I do this on the filer side or on the Window side?

> If you want to move the share and have it look the same, you'll need to migrate the data up one level, then change the shares.

billshaffer

How you move the data depends on the data, the tools you have available, and your downtime limitations.  Easiest way would be to add the new share, disable the old share (downtime, so the data doesn't change), and do a host side copy.  If you can't have that much downtime, use a tool like rsync or robocopy that lets you copy the data live, then only requires a short amount of downtime for a final sync and cutover.

Can't use snapmirror because you're in the same volume.  You could use ndmpcopy, which will probably be a bit better than a windows side copy, but still requires downtime.

Bill

Public