Network and Storage Protocols

vFiler issues.

dcampbella

I have a NetApp FAS2240.  I have created 3 vFilers, 2 running on 1 controller the other running on partner controller.  the 2240 is running Data Ontap 8.1 RC3.  I have multiple CIFS shares created for all the vFilers. Some users are having issues saving files particularly large files.  I have disabled the firewall and antivirus on the clients and it does not help.  I also have a native CIFS share on one of the controllers.  Users have no issues with these shares.  I have a case open with NetApp support but so far help.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and if they were able to resolve them.  Most of the clients are Windows 7 32-bit SP1.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dcampbella

Issue is resolved.  the cifs testdc failed for an DC on a different subnet from the vfiler.  I ran the route command and it looked OK but comparing to vfiler0 I noticed that there was no default ip address listed, it was in the route list but not as a default route.  Used the route add command and then re-tested the cifs testdc and it passed.  I had the customer test and everything works now.  Thanks for all your help.

Doug

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

scottgelb

Is there any different output in "options" settings between the vfilers and vfiler0? Any network errors on the vFiler interfaces in "ifstat -a"?

dcampbella

Scott,

No, I looked at the options cifs and I did not see any differences.  I also did the ifstat -a and I did not see any errors on the interface.  NetApp seems to think it is client issues. ??

scottgelb

The same clients work with vFiler0 but not a vFiler? Same domain as same network? Is the default route added for the vfiler and is it in a separate or default Ipspace? Cifs domaininfo and cifs testdc all check out the same?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

dcampbella

Scott,

The same client(s) work on the filer0 but not vfiler, that is correct, it is the same domain and the same network.  I have added the default route and I created a new ipspace, I did not use the default.

I will run the cifs domaininfo and cifs testdc and see if they check the same.  Thanks.

Doug

scottgelb

Sounds good. Please post what support recommends and the resolution.

dcampbella

Issue is resolved.  the cifs testdc failed for an DC on a different subnet from the vfiler.  I ran the route command and it looked OK but comparing to vfiler0 I noticed that there was no default ip address listed, it was in the route list but not as a default route.  Used the route add command and then re-tested the cifs testdc and it passed.  I had the customer test and everything works now.  Thanks for all your help.

Doug

scottgelb

Very good. Make sure to put the "vfiler run vFilername route add default ..." in the rc file of vfiler0.

scottgelb

Very good. Make sure to add the "vfiler run vfilername route add default ..." command to the rc file of vfiler0 so it is persistent on reboot and cluster takeover/giveback.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

VKALVEMULA

you said  3 vFilers, 2 running on 1 controller the other running on partner controller.

check whcih interface are you using on both nodes and the route to these interfaces

also check the subnet info, check with n/w team how the data is passing through.

Public