Network and Storage Protocols

vFiler migrate fails with FAS3270 not supported as destination

fletch2007

Hi - I'm attempting the first test vFiler migration to a new 3270 with NMC 3.0.1 and I'm receiving the following error - is it fixed in 3.0.2?:

Conformance Results

=== SEVERITY ===

Error:    Attention: Failed to select a resource.

=== ACTION ===

Select a destination resource for migrating

=== REASON ===

Storage system : 'na04'(120):

- Automated Online Migration is not supported as destination storage system 'na04'(120) model is FAS3270 and source storage system 'na02'(152) model is FAS3170

=== SUGGESTION ===

Suggestions related to storage system 'na04'(120):

- Minimum supported model for Automated Online Migration is FAS3170

thanks

http://vmadmin.info

16 REPLIES 16

fletch2007

FYI - I just upgraded to the latest DFM 4.0.2 and NMC 3.0.2 and I receive the same error:

Conformance Results

=== SEVERITY ===

Error:    Attention: Failed to select a resource.

=== ACTION ===

Select a destination resource for migrating

=== REASON ===

Storage system : 'na04'(120):

- Automated Online Migration is not supported as destination storage system 'na04'(120) model is FAS3270 and source storage system 'na02'(152) model is FAS3170

=== SUGGESTION ===

Suggestions related to storage system 'na04'(120):

- Minimum supported model for Automated Online Migration is FAS3170

scottgelb

Do you have a case open?  The requirement for the same size or higher NVRAM is definitely met source to target (same 2GB on each system).  This definitely looks like a conformance bug... do you also meet the requirement that both source and target are both HA pairs?

fletch2007

Yes, the case is 2002233334 P2 - the engineer called me and is now off researching possible causes.

I can confirm, they are both HA pairs.

I am running the vfiler migrate from the DOT command line right now and its pumping < 1gb - disappointing since the source and dest are supposedly 10Gb end to end...

Is there a default bandwidth throttle set on these operations by DOT?

thanks

scottgelb

Only if there is a snapmirror throttle or if "options replication" options are used on source or target.

fletch2007

No throttling enabled

na04> options replication

replication.logical.reserved_transfers 0          (value might be overwritten in takeover)

replication.logical.transfer_limits current    (value might be overwritten in takeover)

replication.throttle.enable  off       

replication.throttle.incoming.max_kbs unlimited 

replication.throttle.outgoing.max_kbs unlimited 

replication.volume.reserved_transfers 0          (value might be overwritten in takeover)

replication.volume.transfer_limits current    (value might be overwritten in takeover)

replication.volume.use_auto_resync off

I verified with a 3rd 10Gb host I am seeing a peak average around 640Mbps from the 10Gb connected aggr0 volume

I suppose this means I can run 4-5 vfiler migrations in parallel without saturating the 10gb pipe (once the unsupported 3270 issue is resolved)

thanks

fletch2007

FYI, I completed the vfiler migration successfully via the ONTAP cmd line "vfiler migrate..."

The NMC migration is much preferred as it provides progress indication and ability to control the final cutover timing.

I noticed my cmd line BLOCKED during the 2.5 hour vfiler migration - I could not issue a vfiler migrate status

Will see what Netapp support says...

thanks

sinhaa

Hello fletch,

Are you trying Online or Offline migration. I believe its offline since you mentioned you did it successfully using the filer CLI, as you can't do Online migration using filer CLI.

FAS3270 seems like a new platform and DFM4.0.2 seems not to recognize it. If you have opened a case then this can be tracked by a burt. If you are blocked in your progress, then I think there is an option that you can set in your 4.0.2 server which can bypass this test and allow you to proceed. I'm not sure if I can disclose the option in public community here since its hidden and not for common use.

Kindly send me a mail at sinhaa@netapp.com for details on this.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

scottgelb

I would be careful using testpoint overrides... for simulator and training they work well, but for production I would be concerned that other tests that guarantee a successful failover in 120 seconds are met.

vfiler migrate often finishes quickly (manually and within the same time frame, but just no guarantee of the cutover time and no failback if it takes a long time... 2.5 hours in your case..).. that is a long amount of time especially if the mirrors are up to date.  Do you have millions of small files?  It sounds like a snapmirror issue to also troubleshoot in addition to the 3270 bug with data motion.

fletch2007

Update: I've been told Netapp can't give the internal workaround

I've asked for the case to be escalated.

Side note: this should not happen

1) the 3270 model while one of the newer models, has been selling  > 6 months

2) conformance requirements (for vFiler migration or any other operation) should not be tied to static model numbers) - Scott where are you pulling the HA and NVRAM requirements from?

The best thing Netapp could do is to quickly issue a point release for DFM 4.0.2D with NMC 3.0.2D to fix this ASAP

thanks

scottgelb

I'm not against the model number since it gives info on the NVRAM and requirements for that system...but it should be included like you said with 6+ months and also there should be release notes that state when a model is not supported or is supported.  vFiler Data Motion feature is a great feature but has many limits including a lock in 7.3.3/.4/.5 to even use it.   Many customers wanted to upgrade to 8 so we are limited in the 7.3.3+ code line only... and the recent 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 releases allowed 7.3.4 and 7.3.5 to work.  8.1 will add support into the code line and will be the next version of this feature.

The Data Motion for vFiler requirements are listed in TR-3814    http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3814.pdf

Data Motion Summary

•    Data Motion is a guaranteed 120 second vfiler migrate for no downtime movement of vFiler units between physical controllers using NFS and iSCSI (CIFS needs to reconnect similar to a cluster failover).  Applications run uninterrupted or “always-on” during the migration.

•    Use cases are scheduled maintenance, outages, technology refresh, load balancing, adjusting storage tiers, etc.

Data Motion Rules and Requirements

•    Destination System NVRAM must be the same size or larger (no rollback if larger) than source

•    No migration between heads in an HA pair

•    No migration from Faster RPM to Slower RPM disks but can go from Slower to Faster RPM (but no rollback if not the same speed)

•    No single controllers on source or destination (must be on a HA pair)

•    vFiler source must own all volumes (not just the qtree)

•    Data ONTAP 7.3.3 or greater 7.3.x release

•    Operations Manager 4.0+

o    Provisioning Manager 4.0+

•    Does not work on vfiler0

•    Host Protocols Supported

o    NFS

o    iSCSI

•    Host Protocols NOT Supported

o    FCP, FCoE (only allowed in vFiler0)

o    CIFS (it works, but users have to reconnect similar to a cluster failover)

•    ONTAP licenses

o    MultiStore

o    SnapMirror, SnapMirror_sync (free with snapmirror)

fletch2007

The case owner replied saying the 32xx is not listed as supported for data motion in tr-3814

I am requesting a point release to make vFiler migration work with the 3270 or (less desirable) access to the workaround mentioned in this forum.

Does anyone know how to make a 3270 look like a 3170 to NMC? Does it call sysconfig?  Does sysconfig pull the model from the registry files?

I see /etc/rlm_config_from_filer lists the model - but that does not appear to be what NMC uses...

thanks

sjallabais

Any plans supporting CIFS with SMB2 only, as the protocol now supports durable handles?

scottgelb

ONTAP 7.2.5.1 and 7.3 support SMB2.  Unfortunately the durable file handle is not at the application level so it isn't really durable when a port moves between controllers with a cluster failover or data motion/vfiler migrate.  Maybe there will be an SMB 2.1 that works more like nfs (one can dream )... not a NetApp issue with the durable file handle not being durable.

fletch2007

Netapp support was able to provide a "testpoint" workaround to allow vfiler migration on the 3270

thanks

fletch2007

New vFiler migration failure:

Pre-flight check FCAL->SAS aggregate fails.

The destination has ONLY SAS disk.

I opened a case 2004057379 to request a test-point bypass for this check so we can proceed.

Ontap 8.1.2, OnCommand 5.1, NMC 3.1

Will this be possible?

thanks

scottgelb

Support hopefully can provide since it should be supported.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Public