Network and Storage Protocols

what is real usage of sharing the same volume to Unix and Window clients?

netappmagic

I know the same volume/data could be shared by both Unix and Window platforms, but can anybody please give me a few real examples on why I need to do that?

in this case, I need to setup the security of shares to mixed.

Thanks for your inputs in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dburkland

At my organization we have provisioned many cross platform file shares for various use cases. We have one group which copies files from their PCs out to a share and then they process the files from several RHEL servers. We typically set the security style to NTFS due to its granularity however it depends on the users. I would advise against using a mixed security style as it would cause more problems than it solves. Is there any reason why you could not use a UNIX or NTFS security style on a cross platform file share?

Dan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

dburkland

At my organization we have provisioned many cross platform file shares for various use cases. We have one group which copies files from their PCs out to a share and then they process the files from several RHEL servers. We typically set the security style to NTFS due to its granularity however it depends on the users. I would advise against using a mixed security style as it would cause more problems than it solves. Is there any reason why you could not use a UNIX or NTFS security style on a cross platform file share?

Dan

HARI_KRISHNA981
Public