Network and Storage Protocols

Cannot delete CIFS share

RONGAGE_COMAU

I am trying to delete a CIFS share and it's not going well at all.

System is a FAS3140, DataOnTap is 7.3.2P4

I have tried to delete the share via the MMC console ("stop sharing"), the web interface (cifs->shares->{select the share}->Delete, and via the CLI (cifs shares -delete _ITDepot and cifs share -delete -f _ITDepot).

The only feedback that indicates anything going on is on the CLI:  Fri Apr 19 11:48:51 EDT [cmasd3001155a: smbrpc.forceClose.share.timeout:warning]: CIFSRPC: Close of share _ITDepot has not completed and has taken 3660 seconds.

I need the space back that this share is consuming.  Can anyone offer any tips on how to get this space released?

Thanks!

Ron

3 REPLIES 3

vims

If it can't be deleted  then it is most likely in use.

CLI - cifs sessions

I would try to terminate CIFS, restart it and try to delete that share again

Also stop sharing does not free up a space, you have to physically delete data belongs to that share ( i would previuosly disable snapshots as well)

PS can you simply just delete data from that share, you willmost likely see which files are in used.

RONGAGE_COMAU

I was afraid that this might be a possibility.  So I basically have to wait until a nul usage time in order to fix this.  The engineers are going to love that.  Right now, it looks like there are "lots" of sessions open and I am not seeing where the "cifs sessions" command is indicating what files/volumes are in use.

If it matters, this problematic volume had one weird thing going on with it: I could not remove some ACLs from the share.  Just like this attempt at removing the export, the interface(s) would go through the motions but not actually do anything.

Yeah, I know about the data not being deleted at first.  There are compound problems here I think.  This share is on a shared volume (multiple exports off of one volume):  such as /vol/satavol/x and /vol/satavol/y.  My goal (besides deleteing the share) is to recover the space back to the aggregate so it can be reutilized on a different volume (which is almost out of space).

Ron

vims

try - cifs sessions -s it might helps a bit.
Also MMC - open files under shared folder in 2003 and mange open files under Share and Storage amnagement in 2008 helps as well.

Public