Network and Storage Protocols

Creating multiple CIFS shares at one time

jroberts_2589

I am in the process of migrating data from a FAS3050 system to a FAS3170 system.  I have many CIFS shares that have to be created and permissions added.

When dealing with the NFS exports, I can simply make changes to the /vol/etc/exports file.

Is it possible to do the same thing for CIFS?  Can I edit the /vol/etc/cifsconfig_share.cfg file and copy relevant share names and permissiosn from one filer to the new filer?  How do I trigger the Netapp to read the cifsconfig_shares.cfg file again?

If this can be done, it will save me hours of work.

Thank you for your help.

Jack Roberts

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adamfox

In general, that works.  You have to bounce the cifs service (cifs terminate / cifs restart) to get ONTAP to re-read the files (it's not meant to be done this way).

The biggest caveats come if you are changing domains and don't have a trust or if you have local users or groups as those may not work when you move the SIDs over.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

adamfox

In general, that works.  You have to bounce the cifs service (cifs terminate / cifs restart) to get ONTAP to re-read the files (it's not meant to be done this way).

The biggest caveats come if you are changing domains and don't have a trust or if you have local users or groups as those may not work when you move the SIDs over.

Hope this helps.

jroberts_2589

Thank you very much.  It worked like a champ!

Public