Network and Storage Protocols

XCP nfs3 error 22: invalid argument

STADMIN

Hi all,

Does anyone have an explanation for this error while syncing and how to solve it?

Command executed:   xcp sync -id orascratch_1 -parallel 12

WARNING - 66630 xcp sync batch (compare batches) nfs3 SETATTR 'nfs_source:/source_path nfs_target:/target_path/vbhd1vp1_schema_expdp_02.dmp' mode 00777, uid 2947, gid 2
00, size 4410769408, atime Fri Nov 20 18:41:30 2020, mtime Fri Nov 20 18:50:24 2020: nfs3 error 22: invalid argument.

Thanks a lot in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

NetApp_SR

Check the destination volume security style. Normally we expect it to be the same as the source.

vol show -vserver SVM_NAME -volume VOLUME_NAME -fields security-style

Mjizzini

I have see this error before. It may or may not be related to the following but worth mentioning.

The assumption is that a previous sync that crashed did send the RENAME command but did not manage to add this information to the index before the crash.

For more information, please follow 1172885 Burt.

Rick_Ridzon

Burt 1172885 does not exist.  Does anyone have a definitive answer for nfs3 error 22: invalid argument?

NetApp_SR

Burt 1172885 is for an older version of XCP. Update to the latest version of XCP. Is error 22 the only error your seeing? I found a KB mentioning error 22. Increasing the log verbosity may help to reveal more clues to the issue.

XCP sync : nfsv3 SETATTR to destination file fails with error Stale filehandle and Invalid argument

NetApp XCP - How to increase xcp.log verbosity for troubleshooting

Rick_Ridzon
I'm using XCP 1.9.1, maybe to my demise
We were keeping the catalogs on the source platform which is TrueNAS (puke).  The catalog files kept getting corrupt to the point where they couldn't be deleted!  The TrueNAS OS reported "Invalid file handles".    We have since moved the catalogs to an NTAP AFF volume. Fingers crossed!

I think the error happens when the storage system hosting the catalog loses connection or has some issue.  TrueNAS uses ZFS.  I'll bet there are some restrictions with that platform.  Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Rick_Ridzon

I believe that I solved the problem.  As I mentioned, we were keeping the catalogs on TrueNAS.  We decided to carve out a volume on the AFF and store the catalogs there.  We haven't seen the issue since.

Public