Network and Storage Protocols

iSCSI configuration vmware

JustinMedcraft

I am trying to configure ISCSI on my environment.  I am attempting to 'test' to present a LUN via ISCSI to our ESXi host.  I've added the IQN's on both sides (NetApp & ESX) and ESX resolves the IQN from the IP address of the NetApp ISCSI adapter.  When I rescan the ESX adapter I still can't see anything presented.  Why??  This is getting beyond frustrating!!

I look forward to your response.

2 REPLIES 2

georgevj

Did you test the process via commandline?

If so, there are chances that you might have missed some steps in between.

The correct process as far as I can remember would be:

create Aggr->volume->LUN

make sure that LUN is online

create an igroup, add ESXi's iqn to this i group

map the LUN to this igroup

configure vmkernel port for iscsi traffic on ESX

add target portal to vmware iscsi initiator (!IMPORTANT! - DO NOT use ip address od e0M port on your storage system)

and rescan..!

You could avoid a lot of configuration mistakes by using the OnCommand Systemmanager GUI to configure volumes and LUNs on yor netApp storage systems. Its free, and easy to use.

Available here: http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/software/?product=OnCommand+System+Manager&platform=Windows

There is a Linux version also available, in case if you are not a fan of microsoft. http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/software/?product=OnCommand+System+Manager&platform=Linux

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.

georgevj

One more thing: if you have a routed network, the 7 mode option ip.fastpath.enable can create a lot of mess with packet's routing. It can be very difficult to troubleshoot too. Let me know if you find any other thing interesting

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.
Public