ONTAP Discussions

Highlighted

Re: BUG on autosupport on 8.1RC2. When it will be fixed?

As already klemen did it the D6/D7 DON'T FIX THE ISSUE nevertheless what's in the release notes! Just wasted time (filer is a 2240)

For the more sophisticated technicians here's attached the trace file generated during packet tracing between host and exchange server.

As well shown there's the same timeout that causes the bug.

Highlighted

Here's the comunication between a FAS2240-4 using 8.1RC2D6 and a MS Exchange 2010

220 pdrpo1.pdr.net Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Thu, 16 Feb 2012 17:29:19 +0100

HELO pdrpo1.pdr.net

250 pdrpo1.pdr.net Hello [10.100.101.10]

MAIL FROM:<NetApp-DR@xxx.xx>

250 2.1.0 Sender OK

RCPT TO:<autosupport@netapp.com>

250 2.1.5 Recipient OK

RCPT TO:<netapp@xxx.xx>

250 2.1.5 Recipient OK

DATA

354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>

To: autosupport@netapp.com, netapp@xxx.xx

Date: Thu Feb 16 14:33:54 CET 2012

Subject: HA Group Notification from NetApp-DR (PERFORMANCE SNAPSHOT) INFO

Mime-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="netapp mime boundary"

X-Mailer: Ontap

X-Netapp-asup-version: 3

X-Netapp-asup-content: complete

X-Netapp-asup-subject: HA Group Notification from NetApp-DR (PERFORMANCE SNAPSHOT) INFO

X-Netapp-asup-system-id: 1787*****

X-Netapp-asup-os-version: NetApp Release 8.1RC2D7 7-Mode: Sun Jan 15 23:18:44 PST 2012

X-Netapp-asup-hostname: NetApp-DR

X-Netapp-asup-generated-on: Thu Feb 16 14:33:54 CET 2012

X-Netapp-asup-serial-num: 7000******

X-Netapp-asup-partner-serial-num: <unknown>

X-Netapp-asup-partner-system-id: <unknown>

X-Netapp-asup-partner-hostname: <unknown>

X-Netapp-asup-model-name: FAS2240-4

X-Netapp-asup-conf-version: 8.0.0

X-Netapp-asup-conf-checksum: sOZByZjMPq5vovhybZjN3Q==

X-Netapp-asup-from: NetApp-DR@xxx.xx

X-Netapp-asup-clustered: false

X-Netapp-asup-sequence: 69

X-Netapp-asup-payload-checksum: e00295c10beca22de9b2869c33f1523

--netapp mime boundary

Content-Type: text/plain

GENERATED_ON=Thu Feb 16 14:33:54 CET 2012

VERSION=NetApp Release 8.1RC2D7 7-Mode: Sun Jan 15 23:18:44 PST 2012

SYSTEM_ID=1787*****

SERIAL_NUM=7000***********

HOSTNAME=NetApp-DR

SEQUENCE=69

SNMP_LOCATION=**********

PARTNER_SYSTEM_ID=<unknown>

PARTNER_SERIAL_NUM=<unknown>

PARTNER_HOSTNAME=<unknown>

BOOT_CLUSTERED=

--netapp mime boundary

Content-Type: application/x-compressed

Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="body.tgz"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

[CUT...]

8SQEaaVI/lhlJ+ekZOVkJGQmJiO5mQnZuWlZeYIyIQMW0jc/0uamHLzaA4vCg0u8pJt04oCa

oAH8UnbKgtvNFhh4tsDlE+n6AZfbi6D55L9cVreLwlTgB+TXEHS5ucjjcQXYB1hlRp1Bj4rU

W26mHRykDmoGIyrSAtJJOnC7ivYWTAStVZFWhGbWmElrCNZZ5DFbcQ8eIKBkv4CxQXgoRPTi

I13A3nESblUADboNtNNgmgR3CytCievCK+wUbjXb4IokJJyncJJE1YSbATktBNtshleSsjLz

lMH9006qk6AASVlJC9BU5jIS2HZlCFYkgXUTHncFYGuvn6kxnSyShCHBUmAeIIjWIYEMYWfJ

lgZa7KbKK2SHI4D0esxeN3h9YESZYQE9cMSCZ7EJ4H62Vzg2/p+BweQ8HBysQaqUG3fSjOyF

rCvbPKZp8BJpHg7vuSlrrAtMrFhMhTK/wAYLKvMUuSmPhyMIJOkXwsoulY3ELRa8FAgpiicK

osPxLxhUErAX4DGykPRAOUG4PaSNtIB7/BYU4JZir0slrmJ4SIvVZRVVQwySK2QZZBFlt0J5

LURiRlSA5LAh7+KJeItNVUiWErC5KthTlQXOIbuKcpoBMcood7HZBuSc1y3oX2g5qB/AC4FM

AsSAognmKiDBmSJWyErY8QoVsIQpp5VGNCgqg+WSiE8WITLYigKycCJVQ451 4.7.0 Timeout waiting for client input

Dosen't seem fixed to me...

Highlighted

I was running into this issue as well and had previously been stumped as to what the problem was until finding this post. My cluster is also running 8.1RC2D7 and wasn't working until I switched the mailhost to a sendmail server.

Our current implementation is using Cisco Ironports as our primary mail ingesters, not exchange, but the problem was still persistent.

Highlighted

Dear all,

I upgraded a V-3270 to DoT 8.1RC2D6 and the autosupport integration with an Exchange 2007 is working properly.

Regards,

Highlighted

Hi!

Can you send me options autosupport output if possible, please?

Thanks

Klemen

Highlighted

Klemen, this is the autosupport:

autosupport.cifs.verbose     off       

autosupport.content          complete   (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.doit             USER_TRIGGERED (test5)

autosupport.enable           on         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.from             netapp-dc1-a@xxx.xxx.br (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.local_collection on         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.mailhost         smtpapp.xxx.xxx.br (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.max_http_size    10485760   (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.max_smtp_size    5242880    (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.minimal.subject.id systemid   (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.nht_data.enable  on         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.noteto                      (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.partner.to                  (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.payload_format   7z         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.performance_data.doit DONT      

autosupport.performance_data.enable on         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.periodic.tx_window 1h         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.retry.count      15         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.retry.interval   4m         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.support.enable   on         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.support.proxy    0          (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.support.put_url  support.netapp.com/put/AsupPut (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.support.to       autosupport@netapp.com (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.support.transport smtp       (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.support.url      support.netapp.com/asupprod/post/1.0/postAsup (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.throttle         on         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.to               filer@xxx.com (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.validate_digital_certificate on         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

I just filled with "xxx" my customer information.

We had a problem to send the smtp e-mail to an email outside their domain. But it was an Exchange issue, nothing into NetApp. You can see at "/etc/log/mlog/notifyd.log" if the Exchange Relay is authorizing you to send that e-mail.

Regards,

Highlighted

With Data Ontap 8.1RC3 the Autosupport Bug should be fixed.

Bug Id:

Now, we receive a daily autosupport message mit the subject management_log.

Which is the option to do only a weekly_log message?

Thanks for your reply!

Regards,

Florian

Highlighted

Florian,

AutoSupport in 8.1 has been significantly overhauled. From the release notes:

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel81rc3/html/ontap/rnote/GUID-7089A00E-38D4-40D7-A397-AE70D253A5F3.html

Excellent and updated information on AutoSupport is available in the System Administration Guide for 8.1.

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel81rc3/pdfs/ontap/sysadmin.pdf

One of the improvements is related to smoothing out the WEEKLY_LOG AutoSupport traffic at both customer sites and back at NetApp, as well as to solve problems with very large AutoSupport messages. To help with these issues:

1. Log files are separated from the WEEKLY LOG and sent daily, i.e. 7 chunks instead of 1 big weekly chunk

2. Performance data is now sent daily (PERFORMANCE DATA), i.e. 7 chunks instead of 1 big weekly chunk

3. Event-based AutoSupport messages send context-sensitive information

I hope that helps clarify matters.

Highlighted

I wasn't aware of the autosupport commands introduced in 8.1.  The man page has full details but here are a couple that seem handy.

1) Check history of ASUPs:

salt> autosupport history show -fields seq-num,status,subject,uri,error,last-update

seq-num destination last-update         status          subject                         uri                      error
------- ----------- ------------------- --------------- ------------------------------- ------------------------ -----
1088    smtp        "3/2/2012 11:09:43" sent-successful "USER_TRIGGERED (COMPLETE:now)" mailto:nobody@netapp.com -    
1088    http        "3/2/2012 11:09:43" ignore          "USER_TRIGGERED (COMPLETE:now)" -                        -    
1088    noteto      "3/2/2012 11:09:38" ignore          "USER_TRIGGERED (COMPLETE:now)" mailto:                  -    
1087    smtp        "3/2/2012 11:09:12" sent-successful "USER_TRIGGERED (test)"         mailto:nobody@netapp.com -    
1087    http        "3/2/2012 11:09:12" ignore          "USER_TRIGGERED (test)"         -                        -    
1087    noteto      "3/2/2012 11:09:07" ignore          "USER_TRIGGERED (test)"         mailto:                  -    
1087    retransmit  "3/2/2012 11:24:59" sent-successful "USER_TRIGGERED (test)"         mailto:nobody@netapp.com -    
1086    smtp        "3/2/2012 10:58:13" sent-successful "USER_TRIGGERED (test)"         mailto:nobody@netapp.com -    
1086    http        "3/2/2012 10:54:03" ignore          "USER_TRIGGERED (test)"         -                        -    
1086    noteto      "3/2/2012 10:54:03" ignore          "USER_TRIGGERED (test)"         mailto:                  -    
1085    smtp        "3/2/2012 10:58:09" sent-successful "USER_TRIGGERED (COMPLETE:now)" mailto:nobody@netapp.com "Domain not found"
1085    http        "3/2/2012 10:44:59" ignore          "USER_TRIGGERED (COMPLETE:now)" -                        -    
1085    noteto      "3/2/2012 10:44:57" ignore          "USER_TRIGGERED (COMPLETE:now)" mailto:                  -    

2) Get full details about a specific autosupport:

salt> autosupport history show -instance -seq-num 1088

AutoSupport Sequence Number: 1088
Destination for this AutoSupport: smtp
                   Trigger Event: callhome.invoke.all
             Time of Last Update: 3/2/2012 11:09:43
              Status of Delivery: sent-successful
               Delivery Attempts: 1
             AutoSupport Subject: USER_TRIGGERED (COMPLETE:now)
                    Delivery URI: mailto:nobody@netapp.com
                      Last Error: -

Destination for this AutoSupport: http
             Time of Last Update: 3/2/2012 11:09:43
              Status of Delivery: ignore
                    Delivery URI: -

Destination for this AutoSupport: noteto
             Time of Last Update: 3/2/2012 11:09:38
              Status of Delivery: ignore
                    Delivery URI: mailto:
3 entries were displayed.

3) Retransmit a specific autosupport to an email address (can also be some totally other email address):

salt> autosupport history retransmit  -seq-num 1087 -uri mailto:nobody2@netapp.com

Highlighted

I saw it on "?" output, but now is much better to know exatly how use it.

Thank you for your information. It will be very useful.

Regards,

Highlighted

NetApp

Thanks for the tracing attachments.

The high level SMTP failure symptoms are the same. It gets an SMTP "Timeout" reply during the DATA exchange.

The problem shows up at the start of sending the Email message not at the end.

The small little SMTP exchanges like "HELO xxx", "DATA", etc. are working but when it sends the first big write over the TCP connection, it doesn't get through. The TCP layer is retransmitting for some reason.

Eventually, the SMTP "Timeout" reply happens.

-Rudy

Highlighted

I have a FAS2240-4 with 8.1RC3 and Exchange SMTP which works just fine!

However, there seems to be another "issue"...

I have a single FAS2240 but the asups it sends out, have the subject of "HA Group Notification", seems wrong to me. Anybody else experiencing this too?

Peter

Highlighted

NetApp

Yep, 8.0 shipped with AutoSupport always sending "HA Group Notification" even for single nodes. BURT 371076

AutoSupport can't really use the test "hey partner are you there?" to report HA mode since the partner may be down, rebooting, improperly cabled, etc.

Highlighted

OK, fine for me then.

Highlighted

Well … ASUP is sent from a single node, is not it? It does not collect ASUP from partner and sends, does it? So it can speak only for itself.

The simple fact that it is causing confusion is indication that it probably is … confusing ☺

Highlighted

Congrats... Now I'm confused ...

Check out the KB!
Knowledge Base
All Community Forums
Public