ONTAP Discussions

CIFS share name uppercase or lowercase

pedro_rocha

Hello,

I know that it does not make any functional difference. Either lower or uppercase CIFS share name will work the same.

But I am curious:

Using ONTAP 9.3, a CIFS share name created in UPPERCASE displays on Windows in UPPERCASE.

Using ONTAP 9.8, a CIFS share name created in UPPERCASE displays on Windows in LOWERCASE.

Windows client is the same.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Pedro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mjizzini

I tested it in my lab (Ontap 9.8)

If you authenticate to the CIFS Vserver using Kerberos:

Uppercase shows in uppercase.

Lowercase shows in lowercase.

Mix will show Mix.

If you authenticate to the CIFS Vserver using NTLM:

Uppercase shows in lowercase.

Mix will show Mix .

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

paul_stejskal

No but I pinged someone who might.

pedro_rocha

thanks.

I also created a case but still nothing...

I saw that this behavior is not something related to NetApp... people have seen this with other storage products using CIFS shares. Still, not a decent explanation.

Beyond that, the strange thing is that it is happening in different ways between ONTAP versions, so maybe there is something about ONTAP also.

paul_stejskal

Case number? And do you have a tcpdump from both the 9.3 and 9.8 systems to compare the CIFS share being created?

pedro_rocha

# 2009106663

no tcpdump yet

paul_stejskal

Alright get that and then reply. We suspect it is Windows, but it would be curious to see.

pedro_rocha

New info is that using name (instead of the IP), case is how we set on the share.

Using IP, everything is lowercase 

Ontapforrum

Don't know if this bug has any bearing ? (It says found in 9.3P15)
https://mysupport.netapp.com/site/bugs-online/product/ONTAP/BURT/1277207

Also, this article says -If you have enabled or modified character mapping using the Vserver CIFS character-mapping commands, a normally case-insensitive Windows lookup becomes case-sensitive. (Again don't know if this is even related)
https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/nfs-admin/case-sensitivity-file-directory-multiprotocol-concept.html

pedro_rocha

thanks for the information

I don't think it's related (we're on 9.3P21, even though it does not specify where it was fixed)

I've seen several similar cases with windows shares, other storages... it just seems something regarding Windows. But in this case there is this pattern (9.3 respects share name case, 9.8 don't (always lower)).

Mjizzini

Will it make any difference if you access it via \\hostname\sharename or \\ip\sharename?

What is the value of below registry key ?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\DontPrettyPath 

pedro_rocha

Hello, no difference. 

Mjizzini

Is there a difference between the volume/qtree Security style? Is it MIX, UNIX, or NTFS?

Additional info.

Case-sensitivity of file and directory names in a multiprotocol environment

Mjizzini

I tested it in my lab (Ontap 9.8)

If you authenticate to the CIFS Vserver using Kerberos:

Uppercase shows in uppercase.

Mix will show Mix.

If you authenticate to the CIFS Vserver using NTLM:

Uppercase shows in lowercase.

Mix will show Mix .