ONTAP Discussions

Can't remove a snapmirror relationship.

chrisstyles

This is really bugging me (it looks untidy 🙂 ) and is only affecting 2 relationships out of 15 we have so far altered.

We are migrating data from one aggr to another on the source, we have changed the snapmirror source on the destination filer but we can't get rid of the old snapmirror relationship from showing still on the source, as below..

snapmirror status

panna01:vol_esx03      PANNADR01:vol_esx03DR      Source         148:23:47  Idle

panna01:vol_esx03_64   PANNADR01:vol_esx03DR      Source         00:23:47   Idle

No old snaps exist. Contained old LUNS are offline but old volume is online.

panna01> snap list vol_esx03
Volume vol_esx03
working...

No snapshots exist.

panna01> snap list vol_esx03_64
Volume vol_esx03_64
working...

%/used       %/total  date          name
----------  ----------  ------------  --------
  0% ( 0%)    0% ( 0%)  Jul 27 11:10  PANNADR01(1788976641)_vol_esx03DR.93 (snapmirror)

PANNADR01> snap list vol_esx03DR
Volume vol_esx03DR
working...

%/used       %/total  date          name
----------  ----------  ------------  --------
  0% ( 0%)    0% ( 0%)  Jul 27 10:10  PANNADR01(1788976641)_vol_esx03DR.93
  0% ( 0%)    0% ( 0%)  Jul 27 09:10  PANNADR01(1788976641)_vol_esx03DR.92

Only one relevent entry in either snapmirror.conf and that is on PANNADR01..

panna01:vol_esx03_64 PANNADR01:vol_esx03DR - 10 * * *

Any ideas anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chrisstyles

Okay, sorry for the tardy reply.

Yep I tried every snapmirror command under the sun, no difference. NetApp came back that it needed a registry hack and a reboot. They were going to escalate it to the next level and I am still waiting for them to come back to me 5 days later.

I had already offlined the luns and volumes but it would appear when I got around to destroying the volumes the relationships disappeared which is good.

All back to normal and no hack or reboot.

Thanks for the advice all.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

aborzenkov

Did you try already restarting snapmirror on source? “snapmirror off; snapmirror on”

chrisstyles

Nope, I hadn't... Tried it and no change...

scottgelb

Usually it is a snapshot or Conf file entry. You show no snaps. after removing the Conf file entry and snapmirror on it is still there? In that case it likely is a registry issue. I had one and support talks you through removing the entry. It sounds like that issue. It has a kb or Burt for it and a reboot to manually remove the registry entries

chrisstyles

Hmm, a reboot Oh well that is why we have HA.

I'll log a case and try and remeber to log the results and process back here.

Thnaks for the help.

scottgelb

It was some editing along with the reboot. But definitely a support case needed

Sent from my iPhone 4S

ashleycook

Is the old relationship still listed in the output when running 'snapmirror destinations' on the source? If it is then running 'snapmirror release' on that entry might clean it up for you.

I wouldn't expect it to be there if there aren't any old snapshots remaining, but it's worth checking.

billshaffer

Have you done a snapmirror release (snapmirror release vol_esx03      PANNADR01:vol_esx03DR) on the source?  I've found that, even though it generates errors saying the relationship doesn't exist or something similar, it does clean things up.

Bill

Rpstorage

It work's.. 

chrisstyles

Okay, sorry for the tardy reply.

Yep I tried every snapmirror command under the sun, no difference. NetApp came back that it needed a registry hack and a reboot. They were going to escalate it to the next level and I am still waiting for them to come back to me 5 days later.

I had already offlined the luns and volumes but it would appear when I got around to destroying the volumes the relationships disappeared which is good.

All back to normal and no hack or reboot.

Thanks for the advice all.

NEHAMUKHI3

try by deleting the snapshots in the source volume it will work then

ALAINVEUVE

Snapmirror delete -destination-path vs:volume_name -force

Public