ONTAP Discussions

Changing LUN serial numbers

GTHOMAS13

Hello All,

After creating an FC LUN and changing the LUN serial number on production side (which conforms with architectural design) the default LUN serial number still displays on the SVM DR after the replication has happened.

Is there a way to modify the LUN serial number on the SVM DR LUN?

When i issue the command, i get the error message as show below.

::> lun modify -vserver (vserver_name) -path (/vol/volume/lun) -serial (serial_number)

Error: command failed: This operation is not permitted on a Vserver that is configured as the destination for Vserver DR.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jaikumar

SVM DR irrespective of the id preserve flags doesnt replicate the LUN Serial number between src and destination (OR any of other SAN Objects).  And you cannot modify the LUN serial number of the Destination VServer. The SVM DR must be failed over  before the LUN serial number can be changed. 

--

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

SpindleNinja

Why?   

GTHOMAS13

@SpindleNinja which part of my question are you asking why too?

SpindleNinja

Why the need to change the lun serial in an SVM-DR config/relationship.    

GTHOMAS13

The FC boot LUN's follow a serial number naming convention, decided on by the implementation team.

I've recreated a new LUN for ESXi, as the current one was corrupted, changed the serial number of the LUN to match the old one. But now on the DR side it still reflects the old default serial number and i can't modify the DR lun.

Hope I'm been clear.

SpindleNinja

Yep. Though ya, you'd think it would just update it.  What's the preserve identity flag set to? 

Have you tried a resync?  https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Protection_and_Security/SnapMirror/How_to_perform_a_%22snapmirror_resync%22_on_a_Storage_Virtual...

GTHOMAS13

identity-preserve flag is set to true.

I've not tried a re-sync, but will read through that article you've provided.

jaikumar

SVM DR irrespective of the id preserve flags doesnt replicate the LUN Serial number between src and destination (OR any of other SAN Objects).  And you cannot modify the LUN serial number of the Destination VServer. The SVM DR must be failed over  before the LUN serial number can be changed. 

--

GTHOMAS13

Thank you for response.

I presume, only if the LUN was created prior to SVM DR setup would it replicate the updated LUN serial number to the other site?

Public