ONTAP Discussions

Highlighted

Re: Converting Ontap 7mod to Cmod

That makes zero sense. You dont need to upgrade first because you're reinstalling the software as a part of the conversion. upgrading it first to then wipe and zero the drives serves no point what so ever.

Highlighted

Also the process for upgrading a cDoT cluster is about the same as with 7-mode, with the added benefit that one command will push the code onto all controllers.

Highlighted

because you're reinstalling the software as a part of the conversion.

no you don't reinstall. you just set the cdot flag in the bootloader and wipe the filer with the boot menu selection 4.

what it will do is: zero all disks, create a new root aggr, create a new root vol and copy Ontap from flash to the new root vol.

so if you update first and wipe afterwards, you'll get a clean and shiny cDOT 8.2.1 without reinstalling ontap.

if you don't update first, you'll start with the old cDOT 8.1, where even the initial setup wizard has bugs.

Highlighted

or you could  install via the boot menu? like in the proceedure

in the end though it doesnt really matter, you're achieving the same goal with the same steps in a slightly different order.

Highlighted

One word. "netboot".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsE4G77OB7Q

I just recently used the NetApp KB for a client DR site where we were re-purposing a FAS3220 from 7-Mode to cDOT.

The only difference between what I ended up having to do vs. the KB was that there were no existing roots on the FAS3220. The KB doesn't cover that part. The software installing process from the boot menu in the KB isn't a netboot image. If you don't have a root, you can't install software.

I found the YouTube link which has the slightly different process at the start using the netboot image. Just remember that you have to extract the netboot image first before pointing to it. That process worked like a charm.

Check out the KB!
Knowledge Base
All Community Forums
Public