ONTAP Discussions

Deleting existing SAS aggregate and re-create it again.

SABARNADEB

Dear All,

I am new to Netapp Storage. We need to delete the existing SAS aggregate and re-create it from scratch. I want the details steps and/or documents where details steps will be there.

Please find the below basic details of SAS aggregate:-

volume aggr_sas_n1 (2 RAID groups):

group 0: 20 disks

group 1: 20 disks

volume aggr0_n1 (1 RAID group):

group 0: 3 disks

This aggregate is 64-bit version.

Please help...thanks

14 REPLIES 14

aborzenkov

So which aggregate you need to delete?

SABARNADEB

Thanks aborzenkov for your interest.

I want to delete below aggregate and re-create it with same configuration.

volume aggr_sas_n1 (2 RAID groups):

group 0: 20 disks

group 1: 20 disks

Regards,

Sabarna Deb

“skill, will and hill”

JGPSHNTAP

Ok, i'm confused.. Why are you deleting it if you are recreting it with the same configuration?

SABARNADEB

Because we got LUN ID conflict error for two SAS volumes due to some changes on the fly. We decided to delete the aggregate and re-create it.

JGPSHNTAP

What?  I'm still not seeing the entire picture.. You can assign a different lun id

SABARNADEB

Same LUN ID for two SAS volume.

JGPSHNTAP

Dude, your confusing me..  and scaring me in the same time...

But whatever here ya go

aggr offline (aggrname)

aggr destroy (aggrname)

then follow the aggregate create commands.

ericgolan

quick add..

if you delete an aggr you will need to zero the disks before recreating a new one , just remember it will take time ,

better solve that problem you got with that SAS issue than delete something you created correctly

that is if i understood the full picture here

SABARNADEB

Thanks All,

Yesterday night I did. Here is the below steps.

1. Steps of deleting and creation of Aggregate.

1.1 Bring all LUNs offline and delete all LUNs.

1.2 Bring all volumes offline and delete all volumes.

1.3 Move Vserver root 'Vserver_root' to another aggregate.

1.4 Go to Cluster -> Storage -> aggregates -> single click on the aggregate which we are going to delete -> Edit -> Note down:- How many number of disks used and raid group size.

Click on ‘change’. Note down :- How many raid group ,number of disks and parity disks.

1.4 Bring offline 'aggregate' and 'delete' the 'aggregate'.

1.5 click on 'create' -> click next -> type name -> select raid type.

1.6 Click on 'select disks' and then click on 'change' -> Number of disks. (It depends. Example: total 60 drives, raid type:- RAID-DP, we select number of disks 20 then it will create 3 RAID group. 54 data disks and 4 parity disks.)

1.7 Click on 'Create'.

1.8 Check the status in Cluster -> Storage -> aggregates. It will show 'creating' it will take some time. Wait until it come into ‘Online’ status.

1.9 Once created, move the Vserver root 'Vserver_root' to original newly created aggregate.

2.0 Assign newly created aggregate to Vserver, command -> vserver modify -vserver Vserver_name -aggr-list aggr_name.

May be above steps exactly will not match with other situation or environment.

aborzenkov

What do you call "SAS volumes"? Could you paste exact command and its output where you see them?

SABARNADEB

Volumes which we created from SAS disk therefore i called 'SAS volume'. Sorry I should not mention 'SAS'. Thanks JGPSHNTAP.....today i will follow the steps....

aborzenkov

That makes no sense, sorry. Volumes that you create on aggregates do not have any “LUN number”. Once again - please copy and paste exact command and its output where we can see what you call “SAS volumes”.

SABARNADEB

We manually entering LUN ID. Here, i mean LUN ID

SABARNADEB
1. Steps of deleting and creation of Aggregate.

1.1 Bring all LUNs offline  and delete all LUNs.

1.2 Bring all volumes offline and delete all volumes.

1.3 Move 'SVM1_root' to another aggregate.

1.4 Go to Cluster -> Storage -> aggregates -> single click on 'Aggregate Which we want to delete'-> Edit -> Note down:-  How many number of disks used and raid group size. Click on change. Note down :- How many raid group ,number of disks and parity disks.

1.4 Bring offline 'Aggregate Which we want to delet' and 'delete' the 'Aggregate Which we want to delet'.

1.5 click on 'create' -> click next -> type name -> select raid type.

1.6 Click on 'select disks' and click on 'change' -> select Number of drives, then it will create raid groups.

1.7 Click on 'Create'.

1.8 Check the status in Cluster -> Storage -> aggregates. It will show 'creating' it will take some time to create.

1.9 Once created, move the 'SVM1_root' to 'New Aggregate'.

1.10 Assign one or more aggregates with the existing Aggregate to the Vserver by entering the following command: vserver modify -vserver Vserver_name -aggr-list aggr_name

Public