ONTAP Discussions

How infinite volume physically distributed?

netappmagic

I created a vserver for the volume infinite volume. I understand that the volume could be located on different nodes in the cluster. However, I don't understand the structure / architecture of how the volume internally created. why two mirrors are created on n02_aggr1, and  1 data  n01_aggr1 and 2 data on n02_aggr1 respectively? how do mirror and data  work together?  Thanks for your inputs.

cluster1::*> vol create -vserver vsinf -volume bigvolume -size 6gb -junction-path /big -state online -policy repos_namespace_export_policy -data-aggr-list n01_aggr1,n02_aggr1

(volume create)

[Job 36] Creating constituent "bigvolume_ns_mirror0001" on aggregate "n02_aggr1"

[Job 36] Creating constituent "bigvolume_ns_mirror0001" on aggregate "n02_aggr1"

[Job 36] Creating constituent "bigvolume_1024_data0001" on aggregate "n01_aggr1"

[Job 36] Creating constituent "bigvolume_1024_data0002" on aggregate "n02_aggr1"

[Job 36] Creating constituent "bigvolume_1024_data0002" on aggregate "n02_aggr1"

[Job 36] Job succeeded: Created Infinite Volume successfully.

2 REPLIES 2

AdvUniMD

I suggest you read the TR 4178, "Infinite Volume Deployment and Implementation Guide", which describes what the mirrors are for and how the containing aggregates are selected:

http://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4178.pdf

georgevj

Could you post the output of " vol show -is-constituent true" ?

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public